My husband has a $160,000 contract to renovate a hotel. all i have, paperwork wise, is a quote for renovation. it details what has to be done, who supplies materials, and who supplies labor. and at the bottom is the total amount for labor. my husband has supplied all the labor. tomorrow the job will be around 60% complete. The agrrement was to be paid every 2 weeks, the amount that was needed to make payroll. have only drawn around 60,000 this far. he was told today to leave the job and that it would be completed by someone else. we have not been able to pay the full amount of payroll in over a month.

21 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

Yes, verbal contracts are binding, if you can prove the terms and conditions and if they are not required by law to be in writing.

Care to explain?

21 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

Care to explain?

not sure i responded in the correct place. but i did reply

12 hours ago, Kasie said:

are verbal contracts legally binding in Indiana?

They can be, but whether any particular contract is binding obviously depends on the relevant facts and circumstances.

As for your husband's situation, I suggest he consult with a local attorney.

13 hours ago, Kasie said:

My husband has a $160,000 contract to renovate a hotel. all i have, paperwork wise, is a quote for renovation. it details what has to be done, who supplies materials, and who supplies labor. and at the bottom is the total amount for labor.

Did you husband not get the signature of the hotel owner on any of that?

Even so, all that documentation and the fact that both parties performed for a substantial amount of time could make the contract enforceable.

For the amount of money involved, it's time for a lawyer.

There are no signatures of any kind anywhere to my knowledge. The prime contractor has already pulled over 80% of the money, that is why the bank is not releasing any more money until done. From what I was told. Is there public record of what the whole contract was worth?? He has apparently been too much money. I know we need a lawyer, but it's hard to hire one when u can't even pay ur electric bill or have money for food. 

Your description of the facts is unclear.  You say there is a quote showing the cost of labor.  Was your husband a party to that quote?  Apparently your husband has a company with employees.  I can't imagine a company taking on a $160,000 contract with no written proposal or contract.  Is that really the case?

1 hour ago, Kasie said:

The prime contractor has already pulled over 80% of the money

Did the prime contractor give performance and payment bonds to the project owner?

1 hour ago, Kasie said:

Is there public record of what the whole contract was worth?

If it's a public project, probably.  If it's a private project, probably not.

P.S.

1 hour ago, Kasie said:

There are no signatures of any kind anywhere to my knowledge.

If your husband wants to be successful as a contractor, he cannot do business without proper written contracts.

There is nothing signed to my knowledge. The contractor is my husband's former employer and a friend or so he thought. We have done several jobs for him in the past with no contract and everything was fine. This was supposed to be our opportunity to kick off are own business. I don't know what the deal was with the owner. I only know the amount agreed on to do the job. Believe me, I constantly preached about having it in writing. Especially since my name is involved! I've search everything I can think of, to at least get our friends paid that sacrificed their holidays to get the job done

×
×