Jump to content
smith0555597

Eating in Grocery Stores

23 posts in this topic

Is it shoplifting if a preteen starts eating an ice cream bar that someone had taken a bite out of and left in the freezer of a grocery store?

 

There was no way of finding out whether it came from the store because there was no opened box of ice cream.

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, smith0555597 said:

Is it shoplifting if a preteen starts eating an ice cream bar that someone had taken a bite out of and left in the freezer of a grocery store?

 

 

Where was the stupid parent that allowed this to happen?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

 

Where was the stupid parent that allowed this to happen?

 

Are you yourself smart? A smart person would not need to resort to insults when answering a simple question. Your mother should have taught you some manners.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, smith0555597 said:

 

Are you yourself smart? A smart person would not need to resort to insults when answering a simple question. Your mother should have taught you some manners.

14 hours ago, smith0555597 said:

When something bad happens to you or your relatives 'adjuster jack', lets see if you'll continue to be judgemental. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

There's really no need to scream over ice cream, everyone. Please keep it civil.

 

smith0555597,  posters may be able to offer more insight if you offer more background on the facts. Theft, shoplifting, and similar offenses are heavily fact-dependent crimes. The state and its statutes will matter too.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/30/2018 at 12:56 AM, smith0555597 said:

Is it shoplifting if a preteen starts eating an ice cream bar that someone had taken a bite out of and left in the freezer of a grocery store?

 

So...some unknown person took a bite out of an ice cream bar and then put it back in the freezer?  And then some child took that partially eaten ice cream bar and started eat it?  Ewww....

 

In any event, it probably would be regarded as shoplifting (or vandalism) unless the child's parent pays for the item.

 

 

On 12/30/2018 at 12:56 AM, smith0555597 said:

There was no way of finding out whether it came from the store because there was no opened box of ice cream.

 

No one is going to believe that someone brought ice cream into the store, took a single bit, and then left it there.

 

 

On 12/31/2018 at 2:17 AM, smith0555597 said:

When something bad happens to you or your relatives 'adjuster jack', lets see if you'll continue to be judgemental.

 

Exactly whom do you think "adjusterjack" was judging?  Your post and question were phrased as hypotheticals.  If thing is something that happened to you/your child, why not say so?

Share this post


Link to post

If the teen took something that was not theirs and they did not pay for, yes, it is illegal and may be considered shoplifting. If the item is sold by that store, the presumption is that it belonged to that store and some random person didn't bring it in and it was stolen from that person. Either way, it did not belong to the preteen. If this is your preteen, you really need to have a talk with them about eating food from an unknown origin. This should be obvious by their age, but alas, does not seem to be the case. Not taking things they have not paid for or have been express permission to have is also long overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/2/2019 at 2:34 PM, ElleMD said:

If the teen took something that was not theirs and they did not pay for, yes, it is illegal and may be considered shoplifting. If the item is sold by that store, the presumption is that it belonged to that store and some random person didn't bring it in and it was stolen from that person. Either way, it did not belong to the preteen. If this is your preteen, you really need to have a talk with them about eating food from an unknown origin. This should be obvious by their age, but alas, does not seem to be the case. Not taking things they have not paid for or have been express permission to have is also long overdue.

What makes you think the parent has never spoken to the child about these things? Sometimes kids will disobey their parents and do things they know are wrong. As if you or anyone else who answered this question has never done a bad thing in your life. lol I think eating an ice cream one found at a store is definitely not as bad as texting/talking on the phone while driving or driving under the influence among other things. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, smith0555597 said:

As if you or anyone else who answered this question has never done a bad thing in your life.

 

What does that have to do with anything?

 

If you want to debate the parenting style of this hypothetical person, this isn't an appropriate forum (notwithstanding that some folks here will engage in that sort of silliness).  And, if this person isn't hypothetical, why are you framing things as such?

 

In any event, the legal question has been answered, hasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, pg1067 said:

 

What does that have to do with anything?

 

If you want to debate the parenting style of this hypothetical person, this isn't an appropriate forum (notwithstanding that some folks here will engage in that sort of silliness).  And, if this person isn't hypothetical, why are you framing things as such?

 

In any event, the legal question has been answered, hasn't it?

The problem with you and the other rude, judgemental people who responded to my post is that you all just couldn't answer the question. There is no need to attack the parents. Just wait until you have kids, that is if you don't have them already...unfortunately. You claim that this is not the forum to engage in a debate and other 'silliness' yet here you are questioning the wording that I used. lol Show me the Findlaw rule that states that I can't leave a reply to comments, especially thoughtless ones.

Share this post


Link to post

And the problem with you is that you provided no context for your question, thus making it next to impossible for anyone to provide any kind of meaningful response.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cbg said:

And the problem with you is that you provided no context for your question, thus making it next to impossible for anyone to provide any kind of meaningful response.

lol It was a simple yes or no question and I gave enough details. It's not my problem if you have difficulty comprehending such a basic question. 

Share this post


Link to post
On January 2, 2019 at 9:33 AM, pg1067 said:

 

So...some unknown person took a bite out of an ice cream bar and then put it back in the freezer?  And then some child took that partially eaten ice cream bar and started eat it?  Ewww....

 

In any event, it probably would be regarded as shoplifting (or vandalism) unless the child's parent pays for the item.

 

 

 

No one is going to believe that someone brought ice cream into the store, took a single bit, and then left it there.

 

 

 

Exactly whom do you think "adjusterjack" was judging?  Your post and question were phrased as hypotheticals.  If thing is something that happened to you/your child, why not say so?

What is so hard to understand? 'Adjustarjack' called the parent of the child stupid, which is not only judgemental but disrespectful as well. I'm sure his/her parent wasn't with him/her at all times esp. as a preteen. A polite person would simply ask, 'Where was the parent?' I don't need to explain that to you. And it's really none of your business if I'm the parent or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
On January 2, 2019 at 8:00 AM, FindLaw_JY said:

There's really no need to scream over ice cream, everyone. Please keep it civil.

 

smith0555597,  posters may be able to offer more insight if you offer more background on the facts. Theft, shoplifting, and similar offenses are heavily fact-dependent crimes. The state and its statutes will matter too.

Actually, I'd rather get more insight from real attorneys rather than wannabe attorneys on this site who have no courtesy. 

Share this post


Link to post

It's not as simple as yes or no. Thus the questions. You may believe you gave enough detail, but you were wrong.

 

And some of the responses you got were from attorneys.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, cbg said:

It's not as simple as yes or no. Thus the questions. You may believe you gave enough detail, but you were wrong.

 

And some of the responses you got were from attorneys.

If you think that I didn't provide enough details, then don't answer my question. And real attorneys with actual clients do not have time to start arguments with strangers on a public forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×