rockwill1066

Consent from Parent

I have a girlfriend who's 16 currently. I'm currently 18. I live in the state of Virginia in which the Age of Consent is 18, and she lives in South Carolina, in which the Age of Consent is 16. This is a rather complicated issue, and you definitely need to read the entirety of the post to understand the circumstances, so I encourage you to do so even if it is somewhat tiring. I would like to know whether or not I would be legally prosecuted if we were decide to rent a hotel/motel and her mother was to not consent to this activity. The reason as to why I've decided that the only realistic course of action to take would be renting a hotel/motel is simply due to her mother's preference of me not staying at her house. I resided in their house for approximately 2 weeks, and during which, I behaved very politely and it didn't seem that she minded my presence at all. So her change in allowance and preference has surprised me considerably so. According to my girlfriend, the reason as to why she doesn't want me to reside at her house is simply because she doesn't know me well, is somewhat asocial, is indifferent to the emotions of her daughter, and last time she spent a considerable amount of money on groceries for the both of us. Her child was the result of an accidental pregnancy, although I don't remember whether or not it was rape, but that did happen, so she decided to leave her child with the father and she was raised by an extremely emotionally abusive and alcoholic father. Approximately 2 years ago, she left Korea, the country of her birth, and then went to live with her mother who's non-abusive but apathetic and detached because she never wanted children anyways. The reason as to why I've said all of this is to attempt to convince you that her decision regarding the allowance of me residing at her house derives from apathy and a profound lack of parental compassion, or at least that's what I suspect. There's no indication of her considering me a threat or having contempt for me, although my persistence may have annoyed her slightly, but that's about it. Additionally, there's no indication of her attempting to legally prosecute me if we were to just rent a hotel/motel, but nonetheless it's a possibility and that's what concerns my parents.

I spoke to my parents earlier today, and they refuse to allow me to visit her in South Carolina because they're adamantly convinced and established in their belief that I could be incarcerated if the parent was to attempt to incarcerate me. My girlfriend explicitly stated that the police would "laugh" if the situation was reported because her age exceeds that of the threshold of the Age of Consent in South Carolina, which, of course, is 16. I've concluded, on the basis of my research previously, that her and I having a relationship that's illegal for someone who's under-the-age doesn't apply to this situation considering that the laws of her state apply to both of us, and the laws of mine are irrelevant; please correct me if my research is faulty. So, because of the Age of Consent, would I be prosecuted if her parent was to attempt to prosecute me even though her daughter is over the age of consent? To re-iterate, I do not think that it's likely, although my parents do, so I'm seeking an answer to either affirm what my parents have declared, or to affirm what I suspect may be the case. If there is evidence and/or legal literature that either supports my parents beliefs or my presumption, then please don't hesitate to send it; that would be highly conducive to my understanding.

5 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

It's not complicated.  The age of consent applies where the sexual act occurs.  Whether it is wise to have sex with a girl who is only sixteen is another question.

I suppose that you're right, but if her mother was to attempt to prosecute me, then could I be legally punished in her state? I've already done it BTW, so I guess that I'm not so wise, but I've known that for a while to say the least if you couldn't tell (joke).

41 minutes ago, rockwill1066 said:

I have a girlfriend who's 16 currently. I'm currently 18. I live in the state of Virginia in which the Age of Consent is 18, and she lives in South Carolina, in which the Age of Consent is 16. This is a rather complicated issue, and you definitely need to read the entirety of the post to understand the circumstances,

No, I don't.

Because my only comment to guys like you is:

WTF is so wrong with you that you can't get a girl your own age and have to have sex with a child?

Nothing else matters.

3 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

No, I don't.

Nothing else matters.

Even though my decision is totally legal in her state and in most countries (in most countries, the age of consent is 14 or 15), and most people don't have an issue with it (including her parents and essentially everyone in her family), you attempt to insult me? I was here to ask a question about the legality of my decision and this is all that I receive? An insult even though what I've done is perfectly legal? Why do you think the Age of Consent is 16 in her state? Is the state government constituted of a collection of people who are so ****ed up in the head that they'd allow a 16 year old to have sex with an 18 year old consensually? 

6 minutes ago, adjusterjack said:

No, I don't.

Nothing else matters.

I have no interest in insulting you, because frankly I could care less about what you think regarding this situation. Your issue is with the state of South Carolina and it's government, so if you want to insult someone, then don't insult me and insult the governmental establishment of South Carolina. Case closed. Get the **** off my thread.

Many hotels will not rent a room to someone under 21, and many more, who might rent to an 18 year old alone, will not rent to an 18 who has a 16 year old  with him. 

You might also research a little thing called the Mann Act.

You might also want to consider that her mother does not need to defend her decision to you or anyone else. She can, quite legally, prohibit you from seeing or in any way contacting her daughter, and there is no law you can invoke and no action you can take that will force her to allow it. She is allowed to parent her daughter as she sees fit as long as the daughter is under 18. You, my friend, have no rights under the law whatsoever in this situation. Mom, however, does.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Thank you very much. Someone finally answered my question instead of telling their opinion. I guess that I won't be doing that though. Just to clarify.. I don't think that her mother would do that, as I've met her, although my parents think that it's likely and it's definitely a possibility that she would decide to take such an action. Also the Mann Act pertains to inter-state transportation of women for sexual purposes, so how does that relate to this? Maybe I didn't read enough about it though. I'm just interested in what all of the implications are and how those implications relate to the issue that I had addressed.

Well if I were you, and since you already claimed to do have done it, I would delete this post immediately and keep this between you and her and YOUR parents only. Do NOT discuss this with her parents, EVER, even if you both are above 18 by then. Chances are sooner or later she might tell he parents so they do know what you and her have done. I would not ask any official or teacher or councelor for advise about this; they are legally ordered to report this to the police / justice department. Avoid this girl AT ALL COSTS if you two ever break up or she starts  treating you in any harmful or threatening way. Because her have done it under state eyes , you and you alone will suffer the consequences, not her. Do you two separate she will be fine without you. Most important however, do not admit or apologize for anything you ever did with her to her or her family do they ever threaten you or blackmail you or claim to  drop the charges in exchange for some sort of "make-up' / 'penance' / 'sorry'. It may be legal in South Carolina to have sex at the age of 16, but the power of a woman, the power of an legally underage person, and the power of that person's parent(s) are overwhelmingly greater than your word. Does this girl or her family ever grow a dislike towards  you, her and her family can easily construe your actions to different crimes, from kidnapping to coercive sexual assault / rape. The courts, no matter how good you are, will hurt you in legally profound ways. They can sentence you into punishments that destroy your career in just about any job that has to do with social, emotional, mental, or biological interaction. Your life can become lower than those of real criminals  do you ever become convicted of a sex crime, regardless of the acrual circumstances at hand. Althought is so trivial and common in the teenage life that you two both share to have sex, legally you are in serious danger do you or her or her family share this information with authorities.

You sound like any other teenager looking for advice about sex and legalities behind it. I am not a lawyer or anything like it, but I do not want to see you in jail or in probation or cut off from your dream job or your community for life because of some impassioned # of minutes with some teenage peer of yours behind intimate, closed doors. It is a harsh life once you meet the judge for these crimes and sadly, even for young, otherwise innocent seniors like you, there is no way to reverse or undo your crime. Only further punishment. 

PS: Use proper protection do you ever have sex again.

×
×