allie11

Case information withheld from background check

I recently ran a simple online background check on someone using 2 websites. Both sites showed 2 criminal cases but said the details of each case were unavailable. This young man is my daughter's new fiancé so I would like to know these details without involving him or my daughter. He was born in 1991 and I believe, based on the case numbers, that these incidents must have occurred within the past 10 years. The case numbers are 9402014CR 701083 and 0402013CR 700511. In the past I've run background checks on several people and have never seen this kind of result for criminal activity. I don't intend to ever say anything to him or to my daughter unless I find proof of serious or ongoing criminal activity. Why am I getting this result now and should I be concerned? 

Those online background checks are notoriously bad.  I've had to run checks for clients that had already used them and often find convictions that didn't appear on the checks they ran as well as clean backgrounds on ones that have found arrests and convictions that were actually someone else.

If the reports you have show what county the cases are in they are public records and you should be able to contact the court/police agency and get a copy of the record.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, allie11 said:

Why am I getting this result now

No one here has any conceivable way of knowing, except that, if the kid was born in 1991, "within the past 10 years" may take you back to when he was a juvenile.  Why don't you contact the companies who provided the information and ask about this?

On 12/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, allie11 said:

should I be concerned?

It's not the place of anyone here to express an opinion about this, but it sounds like you are concerned -- at least enough to have done the background check.

On 12/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, PayrollHRGuy said:

If the reports you have show what county the cases are in they are public records and you should be able to contact the court/police agency and get a copy of the record.

Unless they relate to juvenile cases, in which case they should not be available to the general public.