Sign in to follow this  
Samona

Getting alamoney

My husband and I lived together for two years before we married I did not allow me to work we have been married now for 3 years and I still have not worked and he controls all the money. We were married in Las Vegas but lived in Los Angeles. In 2017 I had to get a restraining order agents him and he was put in jail for domestic abuse. And again for breaking the order. The judge awarded me a 3 year order. I left our home with the clothes on my back and moved to Phoenix Arizona where a friend took me in. 

I have not been able to find work and have been surviving on what my friend helps me with. I recently found out my husband filed for divorce in California knowing I would not know so he would be granted the divorce due to no response from me. ( that has not happened because he hasn’t followed completely through with it yet. ) I’m in the process offilling out Response form bot not sure how to go about getting alamoney. He makes after tax’s $8000 a month but has no paper trail except his pay stubs. No bank account no credit cards . How do I go after alamoney when someone is hiding the money . I can’t pay for a lawyer rather, and he wants to take the car as well . Please what can I do. 

You are entitled to a portion of his income during the three years you were married, but not during the period you lived together.  Due to the limited duration of the marriage you may be awarded spousal support for a limited time while you search for work.  File your response and a motion for a temporary award of attorney's fees.  

With a three year marriage where you've been separated for what sounds like more than a year, the likelihood of getting spousal support (or, as it's known in some other states, alimony) is fairly slim, and if you do get spousal support, it will be for only a very short period.  Nevertheless, the way you seek spousal support is by checking the appropriate box(es) in section 8 of the Judicial Council Response form.

If he lives in CA, then that is where he would file for divorce. The above posters addressed the likelihood of getting spousal support. As for the car, it depends who has their name on the title. If it is his, it is his car. It *might* be awarded to you in the divorce as part of the division of marital assets, but until then, it is his car. If it is titled in your name, it is your car.

1 hour ago, rhondapink1 said:

If I lived with a married man for 18 years and he has passed do I  have a legal right to anything.

Other than anything you owned as your separate property, no, you have no right to anything, unless he left you something in his will.

21 hours ago, rhondapink1 said:

If I lived with a married man for 18 years and he has passed do I  have a legal right to anything.

This is a six month old thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of your post.  Please start your own thread under the correct category.