Mike92649

Infringement question on short slogans for shirts

I think you can't use specific people or character names, movie names, quotes from movies etc on graphic tee shirts.  But, what is the law on using short slogans/sayings like "Online Famous", "Rose all Day" etc.  Is anything like that ok?  Can you copywrite a short slogan/saying like that?

12 hours ago, Mike92649 said:

I think you can't use specific people or character names, movie names, quotes from movies etc on graphic tee shirts.

You can, but it might not be legal to do so.

what is the law on using short slogans/sayings like "Online Famous", "Rose all Day" etc.  Is anything like that ok?

"Anything like that" covers an awful lot, some of which will be legal, and some of which won't.  I've never heard the two examples you gave, but if you actually want to print and sell shirts that include those statements, you should conduct a proper investigation.  By way of example only, someone owns and vigilantly enforces the trademark rights relating to "let's get ready to rumble."

Can you copywrite a short slogan/saying like that?

You can copywrite such a thing, but you cannot copyright it (which is what I assume you intended to ask).  Copywrite and copyright are very different things.  The latter is a legal concept; the former is not, and the word "copyright" is not properly used as a verb (although it is commonly used as such colloquially, but most folks who use it as such don't really have a good grasp on what they're talking about).  You may own a copyright in a work of authorship, but "short slogans" such as have been cited in this thread are not susceptible of being protected by copyright law.  They may -- and often are -- protected by trademark law.