Lax

Salvage Title after 2 Years and 3 title transfers

I bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima from Dallas TX in Aug 2016. I found the listing via Craigslist. The seller stated it was a clear title but had a small fender bender and he got them repaired. I drew the vehicle did not find any issues and decided to buy the vehicle. A clear title was issued. I moved to Chicago within couple of months and got the car registered. A clear title was issued in Chicago. One year later, i had to move to North Carolina due to job transfer, I registered the car and again a clear title was issued. In November of this year, I had to again move to Des Moines, IA . When I went to register the car at the DMV they said it has a salvage title. I was confused, I did not have any accident. Later the DMV explained that the vehicle has a salvage history before the time I purchased the vehicle.  But the seller had said it was a clear title. I purchased Carfax and Carfax also said it had no accident history and I l also transferred the vehicle 3 times and now after 2 years, I am getting to know it's a salvage. Please suggest how should I go about getting my issue resolved.

Thanks 

Do you have any evidence to prove the person who sold you the car knew the vehicle had a salvage title.  IF Carfax and two state DMV's didn't indicate the vehicle was salvaged you may have difficulty proving the seller knew.  Anyway, if you are expecting to take action against the original seller, you would have to do it in Texas and your success would depend on whether (1) you can prove the seller guaranteed you the title was clear, (2) you can prove the seller knew the title was not clean, (3) you have suffered some damage as a result of a deliberated misrepresentation by the seller.  Simply knowing you vehicle has a salvage title is not a real item of damage.  If you like the car, just drive on!

1 hour ago, Lax said:

I bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima from Dallas TX in Aug 2016.

You bought it "from Dallas TX"?  I assume you meant that the sale took place in Dallas.

1 hour ago, Lax said:

The seller stated it was a clear title but had a small fender bender and he got them repaired.

Define "clear title."  I would define it to mean that there are no liens.  In any event, that's something that could and should have been verified (and your post suggests that you did verify it) before the sale.  Repairing a fender bender has nothing to do with the title.

1 hour ago, Lax said:

I drew the vehicle

Huh?

1 hour ago, Lax said:

I purchased Carfax and Carfax

Did this happen at the time of your purchase?

1 hour ago, Lax said:

Please suggest how should I go about getting my issue resolved.

What issue?

Your post indicates that you took reasonable measures to investigate and your investigation turns up nothing.  Your post does not make any mention about whether the seller was aware of any salvage title issue.  Heck, even three different DMVs (TX, IL and NC) didn't apparently know about it.

1 hour ago, RetiredinVA said:

If you like the car, just drive on!

Yup.

Yes I had purchased Carfax before buying the car and it indicated nothing. The seller now says he bought it from an insurance auction but claims he was issued a clear title and therefore mentioned the same. The value of my car has halved it's value and I might have difficulty selling my car. I am therefore seeking advice if there is a way to recoup the losses

1 hour ago, Lax said:

The seller now says he bought it from an insurance auction but claims he was issued a clear title and therefore mentioned the same.

I assume you have no evidence to contradict this.

1 hour ago, Lax said:

The value of my car has halved it's value and I might have difficulty selling my car. I am therefore seeking advice if there is a way to recoup the losses

Well...your car's value is only important if you sell it or are seeking to buttress your personal financial statement.  In any event, unfortunately for you, nothing you have posted indicates that anyone committed any legal wrong for which you might seek redress.

×