Eddie232

Email marketing quesiotn

Hello, I have a question about online marketing via email.

I send emails with gardening information to people who signed-up to receive my newsletter. I also own an online store.

If I identify myself, in those emails, by "a fake name" from "my store's real name", am I doing something illegal? 

Thank you

You did not identify the state.  But, a customary rule for a person using an alias to conduct business requires the filing of a fictitious name notice with the state agency regulating businesses or in the local court of record.  So, the answer to your question is, you are probably doing something illegal.  But it is easily corrected.

1 hour ago, Eddie232 said:

Thank you

That depends on what you mean by "fake". If you mean a name that has no connection to your online store to hide who the real originator of the e-mail is then you are indeed violating the law. All commercial e-mail you send must comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act. Among those requirements is that the header must identify the person or business who sent it. Read the link I provided for more details on what you must do for your e-mails to comply with the law. 

4 minutes ago, Tax_Counsel said:

But I'm still identifying the store, and these are people who signed-up to receive my newsletter. 

It sounds to me like you're saying that the e-mails say they're coming from "Joe Blow and Green Gardening Warehouse."  "Green Gardening Warehouse" is the real name of your company, but "Joe Blow" is a made up name.  That's not illegal.

30 minutes ago, doucar said:

without seeing what you are sending, we cannot say absolutely you are in the clear.

The example that was given before, the one with "Joe Blow", pretty much nails it.

I open an email with:

"Hello [subscriber name], this is Joe (fake name) from [my store's real name], .....", and then I provide the content in a personal and friendly tone.

The store is real and the mail links to it. All the details I provide are of quality gardening content.

3 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

We are assuming that your business name is the actual name of a legally incorporated or organized business under the laws of the state where your main operation is located.  

I am located outside of the U.S and am not a U.S citizen, I'm Israeli.

However, I do own a business here, and simply want to expend to a bigger audience, which is not possible in my country.

Since I work with U.S citizens, it's important to me to comply with the U.S spam rules, which I know are much more strict then the spam rules here. That's why I ask you guys.

Thanks by the way

×