Karen Cyr

Handyman won't follow through!

I hired a handyman to paint my family room and to repair some cracks in my walls. The cracks have seriously reappeared. The very same cracks that he repaired. I have contacted via email, text and phone and always get the run around. I want him to come back over and repair them or refund me the money I spent on it so I can hire someone else. We had no written contract. Short of small claims court-do I have any other options? Thank you kindly.

13 hours ago, Karen Cyr said:

I want him to come back over and repair them or refund me the money I spent on it so I can hire someone else.

On what basis do you think he should do more work for free or refund the payment for the work already done?  You didn't mention how much time passed between the work being done and the cracks reappearing, but how do you know the cracks didn't reappear because of some underlying issue that simply repairing the cracks didn't address?

13 hours ago, Karen Cyr said:

We had no written contract.

Which means there's no warranty for the work.

13 hours ago, Karen Cyr said:

Short of small claims court-do I have any other options?

No.

The cracks didn't magically reappear and it is highly unlikely that a handyman did any more than putty and paint them over nor that you paid him to do more than putty and paint over. Cracks, as you describe, are likely caused by the house settling and no matter how many time you putty and paint it is will continue until the cause of the crack is fixed and that is likely to require some not cheap foundation work.

×