Angela Sowers

Against Free Will

My friend has been out of her medication due to changing Doctors. I took her to the ER for help. Hoping that the Mental Health department could assist her, now we were aware that they may admit her to 1A which is the mental ward at the hospital. While in the ER i had to go home briefly to take care of something. The ER Doctor took it upon himself to send my friend to a mental institution 2hrs away. The Doctor or any of the other staff made no attempt to inform myself or her mother of this transfer. I spoke to my friend 2 days later and she told me that she begged the squad to turn around and take her back. Is this legal for the Doctor to do this to my friend?

If you are suggesting the ER doctor was required to contact you or her mother before having her transported, you would be wrong.  Friend's have no legal right to such notice.  I  fact, depending on the circumstances of your friends condition, it might have been improper for the ER doctor to contact you at all.

Without your friend's express, written, explicit consent, it would have been illegal for the doctor to contact you or her mother about the transfer. 

18 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

Ok i understand that. thank you but she walked into the er and asked for help on her own so why can't she walk out on her own? What gives them the right to transfer her? This is not right. I have read up on this place in which they have taken her and i have not heard one good thing about it. From what i understand it is very hard to get out of there and they treat the patients badly.

13 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

I would assume your friend was subjected to some sort of summary civil commitment proceeding involuntatily commiting her to the second place.  Maybe she can tell you what happened whenyou and her mother visit her.

Im not sure what u mean by this statement. I apologize. Although im going to give it my best guess, are u saying this was a setup of some sort? bc the way things played out i had my suspicions of something being very smelly..

No, I am not suggesting there was a setup or that anything illegal happened.  I am suggesting the ER doctor examined your friend and determined she was a danger to herself or others and asked a judicial officer, perhaps by phone, to require that she be placed in a controlled environment, that is, a mental institution, for stabilization or further examination.

Understand, you are asking us to guess what happened.  All you have told us is your friend was taken to a hospital and transferred to another hospital.  In the absence of other infromation I can only guess.  Go talk to your friend and ask what happened and maybe we can help more.

×