jennmatt

Tax Grievance

Last year we purchased a house and the previous homeowner applied for tax reduction before we bought the house. However, when we were signing the contract to buy the house - their lawyer did not mention anything about this to us and unbeknownst to him at the closing  as well. The tax reduction was granted before we closed on the house. Therefore we did not know about this and we applied for a tax reduction as well after we final closing - a week ago we receive a letter in the mail from the previous homeowner's lawyer requesting us to pay the bill that the previous homeowner has incurred. Are we liable under the law to pay this fee incurred by the homeowner or are we no liable to pay this sum of money? If we refuse to pay this sum will they have the ability to sue us and bring us to court? Thank you.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Alan

It's really not clear what the applications for tax reduction have to do with your question.  Any taxes owed by the seller at the time of the closing should have been deducted from the net proceeds to the seller and credited to you.  You would liable for any tax bill after the date of the closing, including any taxes that were due at the time of closing.  So, yes, you have to pay the tax bill.  If you don't, the county or city will foreclose on your property. If you have a mortgage, the mortgage company should have been collecting an escrow account to pay the taxes as they come due.  Please check your closing statement to see what I am talking about.

Clarify how the tax reduction comes into play and we can comment on that.  

Hi Payroll HR guy,

after closing  i have hiring the other firm to help me apply for Tax Grievance. you are correct. they have not included item in sales contract either not let me sign paper work with their tax reduction form as well. Only after they have rec'd invoice from reduction firm then let their lawyer send us a letter & request us to pay bill. it is unprofessional. so what is your opinion? Thank you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Alan