Sign in to follow this  
Yviite

Minor accident in parking lot

Hi, I was pulling into a parallel parking spot next to someone who was pulling in right next to me but they were about a foot a two in front of me.  They pulled up to their parking stop a little before me and then just flung their door open as I was still pulling up in my spot hitting and damaging my front bumper .  Who is at fault?  The other person try to say their door was already opened and I hit their door but no damage was done to their door.

52 minutes ago, Yviite said:

Who is at fault?

I'm having a hard time visualizing what happened based on your description, but the answer is that no one is at fault until your insurer, the other driver's insurer or a court makes a determination.

53 minutes ago, Yviite said:

The other person try to say their door was already opened and I hit their door but no damage was done to their door.

What does "trying to say" mean?

I assume no one was injured.  Correct?  Does the other driver agree that his/her car was not damaged?  If not, what is the other driver claiming in terms of damage?  Was your car damaged?  If so, what is the extent of the damage?

I'm guessing that any damage was not particularly significant, which means it's a bit of a crap shoot whether or not it's worth making a claim against your own collision coverage.  If you do make such a claim, you'll have to pay a deductible.  The alternative would be to make a claim against the other driver's liability insurance and, if the other driver's insurer denies the claim, you'd have to sue the other driver (presumably in small claims court).