Sign in to follow this  

witnessed Nazi salute at school, what do i do?

10 posts in this topic

I believe I need to report this, but I don't know who to report it to. I attended a tour of a religious school run by an abbey in my state, with some family members and their senior citizens group. I saw and heard the monk who was leading the tour give the Nazi salute to a younger man working on the campus who appeared to be a student. The monk clearly said "sieg heil" and the younger man clearly replied with the same phrase. It was so unexpected and shocking I am at a  loss as to what to do. I told my family members and they say I  should report it, but we don't know who to report it to. This is a rural, white location in the south, and I'm scared they will get revenge, and I don't want any harm to come to me or my family members. Is there any safe anonymous way to report this? And who do I report it to? It doesn't seem right that anybody should say that phrase, especially in the context of a school. Especially a religious school. Your advice is appreciated.

Edited by Guest

You report it to his superior.  You could report it to the ACLU or similar organization, to see if they are interested in it.  Unlike Germany, it is not illegal to give the Nazi salute or say seig heil in the United States, so there is no point in reporting it to the Police.

58 minutes ago, scaredinthesouth said:

Is there any safe anonymous way to report this?

An anonymous letter to his superiors would suffice. Though I doubt it would do any good.

Unfortunately, there are many neo-Nazis in this country and, unlike Nazi Germany, we don't kill people for their beliefs, no matter how repulsive.

One can only hope he outgrows his ignorance lest he eventually do something that gets him imprisoned or killed.

2 hours ago, scaredinthesouth said:

And who do I report it to? It doesn't seem right that anybody should say that phrase, especially in the context of a school. Especially a religious school. Your advice is appreciated.

It is a religious school, and thus a private school. The school is free to teach things that others may find offensive, and staff members are free (to the extent allowed by the school) to engage in speech or actions that you may find repulsive. The First Amendment to the U.S. constitution guarantees everyone the right to their beliefs and to express those beliefs without government interference or punishment. So there is nothing the government can do about it.

The persons who own the school might care, however, and you could report what you saw to them. If the school is affiliated with an organized religious body (e.g. Catholic Church, the Southern Baptist Convention, etc) you could complain to the governing person or board that religious body and it might pressure the school to take action or might withdraw its support.

Tax Counsel is correct. This isn't a legal issue, but if you saw something offensive, report it to the school leadership. Who knows why they did it. It might have been a truly horrible and indefensible display or you could have walked past a history lesson or part of a dramatic work in progress.

True story, my HS had a traditional of the drama kids wearing their costumes to class the opening day of the play. One year we had two very young, inexperienced directors and we did "Cabaret". I'm still friends with both and most of the cast and we all collectively horrified (in retrospect) that there were students walking around all day dressed as Nazis. At the time, no one said a word and the only complaints were from those who objected to the Kit Kat Girls wearing "lingerie" and short dresses to class. I try not to think too much about what that says about my high school.

I understand it's not illegal to do the Nazi phrase in the US.  But surely it's illegal for a teacher or a school to be indoctrinating students into Nazism, IF that's what's going o n. I don't know of course if that is what is happening but an investigation will find out whether it is or  not.  

If they are doing that, then surely that's illegal, yes?  If it's not illegal, it's at the very least  unethical and the public has the right to know, because local taxes help support the place, and many  people purchase the products such as cheeses and jams that they sell.  I for one would not wish to give money to any Nazi enterprise, if that's what is going on.

And no it was not some kind of history lesson or part of a dramatic work in progress. A monk at a religious school greeted a student with the Nazi salute. Period.  I'm naive but I'm not stupid. 

But thank you, everyone, for trying to help. I am stupefied that none of you seem the least bit alarmed or upset that a religious instructor gave the Nazi salute to a student.  The callous disregard I'm seeing here for the implications of this incident is just absolutely shocking to me.  Are you all  so jaded? Have you all witnessed such incidents so frequently that it doesn't bother you at all?  Is Nazism the accepted norm now in this country?  

Don't bother answering. I'm cancelling my account here. I'm sickened by this whole thing and even more sickened by the indifference.

33 minutes ago, scaredinthesouth said:

But surely it's illegal for a teacher or a school to be indoctrinating students into Nazism, IF that's what's going o n.

No, it's not.  It's no different than a teacher "indoctrinating" students into Christianity, and that obviously happens every day at schools all over the country.

If it's not illegal, it's at the very least  unethical and the public has the right to know, because local taxes help support the place, and many  people purchase the products such as cheeses and jams that they sell.

As I pointed out in my prior response, you are free to report what you witnessed to anyone you want, including, but not limited to, the person's superiors, the local media, etc.  But it's not a legal issue.

I am stupefied that none of you seem the least bit alarmed or upset that a religious instructor gave the Nazi salute to a student.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly taking your post with a grain of salt in that I don't know you (so you have no inherent credibility) and, for all I know, you misinterpreted what you saw.  I'll give you an example:  I have photographs of kids in the local high school marching band that look like they're giving Nazi salutes.  They're not, but it looks like that.  Beyond that, why would I or anyone else be alarmed that some unknown person at an unknown school in an unknown state may have done what you described?  Why should that alarm me?  Moreover, how do you know I'm not alarmed?  Was the purpose of your post to obtain the answer to a question or to alarm people?  I might be very alarmed or bothered by what you described, but it doesn't change the fact that your question raises no legal issue.  Would you rather we all lie and say, "heck yeah it's illegal!  Let's string that m-f-er up!"?  Is that what you were hoping for?

Is Nazism the accepted norm now in this country?

Please don't post obviously moronic stuff like this.

49 minutes ago, scaredinthesouth said:

I understand it's not illegal to do the Nazi phrase in the US.  But surely it's illegal for a teacher or a school to be indoctrinating students into Nazism, IF that's what's going o n. I don't know of course if that is what is happening but an investigation will find out whether it is or  not.  

If they are doing that, then surely that's illegal, yes?  If it's not illegal, it's at the very least  unethical and the public has the right to know, because local taxes help support the place, and many  people purchase the products such as cheeses and jams that they sell.  I for one would not wish to give money to any Nazi enterprise, if that's what is going on.

And no it was not some kind of history lesson or part of a dramatic work in progress. A monk at a religious school greeted a student with the Nazi salute. Period.  I'm naive but I'm not stupid. 

But thank you, everyone, for trying to help. I am stupefied that none of you seem the least bit alarmed or upset that a religious instructor gave the Nazi salute to a student.  The callous disregard I'm seeing here for the implications of this incident is just absolutely shocking to me.  Are you all  so jaded? Have you all witnessed such incidents so frequently that it doesn't bother you at all?  Is Nazism the accepted norm now in this country?  

Don't bother answering. I'm cancelling my account here. I'm sickened by this whole thing and even more sickened by the indifference.

What makes you think that one dime of tax money is used to support what you called a religious school.

And be honest, you have no idea what the circumstances of what you think you saw and heard were.  That "monk" may well have been a history teacher that is currently teaching about the NAZIs and you saw a joke that continued from class.