susanwilliams

Mowing

The General Contractor who built our development referred to 4 areas of land that were to be "common areas" in the CC&Rs.  However he went bankrupt and left before this land could be legally made part of the HOA's legal responsibility.  The land is owned by individual homeowners.  Our HOA Board is charging us huge fees to mow the 4 areas that total approximately 2 acres of land.  Several of us would like to opt out of paying for this cost in our yearly dues since it's private land and the HOA doesn't take care of mowing our lawns.  Should we be paying for this if the homeowners won't relinquish their land to the HOA legally?  Thanks.

The CCRs refer to "common areas as defined in the plat map".  There is no other definition.  There are two white vinyl fenced areas with benches and two berms that are in the front entry points.  The general contractor, who went bankrupt, told us that he had intentions of making those areas formal on the plat but never followed through.

I'm posting here again to see if anyone else has feedback.  The supposed "common areas" are private land.  A group of homeowners has decided to not pay for this mowing since it's paying for mowing a neighbor's private property and the HOA isn't mowing ours.  We feel that the HOA should buy that land and make it common area if they want to charge all homeowners to mow it.  Any other thoughts on this?

Why are you worried about what your neighbors do? You've had 73 posts complaining about this HOA. I think your best bet is to move and find a home without a HOA, or at least one with rules you like. You just aren't going to be able to force this one to agree to all the changes and operations you prefer.

I wish that moving was an easy effort but it is significant.  It's not financially feasible for my family in the immediate future.  This is the fourth HOA I've bought a house in and what I've experienced here is not normal.  Thanks to contributors on this forum, we've been able to change this from an HOA Board who were making weekly very questionable ATM withdrawals for years and then a Property Mgmt Company who stole from us, to removal of that Board and that Property Management company in the last 12 months.  We still have a way to go making things better but it's come a long way.  Plus we have helped the majority of the neighborhood who are good people and don't deserve what they ended up with.  Thanks.