kujo

Mentally Ill Spouse

4 posts in this topic

My Certified Mentally I'll spouse has recently loss both parents. He is making unwise decisions about his current assets. He is being influenced by an unlawful son who is on drugs and has been arrested many times but his Father gets him out every time. The son will not work and steals, along with a half brother, continuous to support their selves and habits but their Dad continues to bail them out of their unlawful behaviors. How do I put a stop to the money they are getting out of him including cash, vehicles, recently inherited houses and property, and anything of value my husband owns. His sons are no relation to myself and are in their thirties. What can I do to save what my husband has left? We have been married for 11 years and he has been diagnosed with DID for over 8 years but has had this condition since he was a small child. 

If your husband knows what he is doing with his assets, it is unlikely there is anything you can do.  You can apply to the courts to be appointed conservator or guardian of your husband.  However, Disassociative Identity Disorder, formerly multiple personality disorder, is unlikely to be considered the type of mental disorder that would prevent a person from administering his or her own assets.  You would need the assistance of a psychiatrist or psycologist willing to testify that your husband is incapable of administration of his assets.

Plenty of parents make what seem to be poor decisions when it comes to their children. It's his money. If he wants to spend it on his child, he may do so. If there are joint assets you can disagree to allow him to use those for the son, but if we are talking about his money, whether he is spending it on his kid or QVC shopping sprees, is his choice.

8 hours ago, ElleMD said:

Plenty of parents make what seem to be poor decisions when it comes to their children. It's his money. If he wants to spend it on his child, he may do so. If there are joint assets you can disagree to allow him to use those for the son, but if we are talking about his money, whether he is spending it on his kid or QVC shopping sprees, is his choice.

I'm sure illegal drugs would not be considered a wise purchase.