Sign in to follow this  

A car that had a contract breach, because the car dealer sold me a vehicle for approximately $5600 in 2016. The dealer charged me interest for a four year loan, totaling approximately $7500. Then I paid $1000 down except the contract I signed the second time under duress added the $1000 to the $7500 to total $8500, which the dealer told me I owed the $7500.

Is this a criminal act or do I just sue for a civil violation. Oh, they repossessed the car last year in 2017 because I paid them in person but they did not pay the finance company even though I got a receipt. I made a second payment timely but the car dealer sent the mailed check back and told me to pay the finance company. My credit was lowered because the finance company said that they did not get my first payment. I filed for a lost or stolen check with my bank. The second contract has additional charges of administrative charges of $495 and a license charge when I paid my registration fee transferring my old plates.

The financial company has my credit report listing $5600 owed or bad credit while the car dealer got the car back.

Do I file criminal or civil charges?

Not a criminal issue. Might be a contractual issue.

Trouble is, you signed the first contract willingly and you signed the second contract willingly.  Nobody put a gun to your head. You had a choice.

Then you made payments to the dealer when you were obligated by your loan contract to make payments to the finance company.

18 minutes ago, cew said:

The financial company has my credit report listing $5600 owed or bad credit while the car dealer got the car back.

I don't know what that's all about. The car should have been sold to pay off the debt (or a good part of it). You might still have owed something but not the whole thing.

You might want to have a lawyer look over all your documents. Shouldn't cost you much for some advice.