Showsumclass

Repossessed vehicle

I bought a vehicle from my brother in 2011. When we went to transfer the title my brother put his name on the title as lien holder (and me as owner) because he didn't want me to get a title loan. At the time it made sense because it's something I would do and I believed at that time he had my best interest at heart. I don't owe him any more money on the vehicle and this was something we both agreed on at that time.

In May 2018 I was rear ended and the person that hit me was insured. The insurance company needed his signature as well on the claim to receive pay out for the damage. The insurance company asked who the check should be made out to and I said just me. I told my brother that the money was going to be used to get it fixed.
 I got the check I was in the process of making arrangements to take it in to be fixed. My brother wanted to know if I got the check and he wanted the money. I said it was going to be used to get it fixed.
That afternoon, after I told him that, he went down to a 3rd party DMV took ownership of the vehicle. He made himself sole owner of that vehicle.
What I want to know is since he took ownership am I no longer obligated to get it fixed now that he took ownership?

30 minutes ago, Showsumclass said:

Once you turn the money from the insurance over to your brother, you have no further obligation.

If you believe your brother breached whatever contract you had with him (even if it wasn't written) you get to sue him in small claims court.

If you keep the money you risk being sued by him.

Your situation is why you should never do business with family, or friends.

14 hours ago, adjusterjack said:

Why would I have to turn the money over from the insurance to my brother?

29 minutes ago, Showsumclass said:

No more answers to my questions? WOW

Your only outstanding question was about a response that "adjusterjack" gave you, so it wouldn't make sense for anyone other than him to explain what he meant.  It's not like folks who respond here are on call 24/7.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:17 AM, Showsumclass said:

I don't understand how or why he could can sue me.

He could sue if he feels you wrongfully kept the money.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:47 AM, Showsumclass said:

Because he has a damaged car and you have the money to fix it.

I'm just speculating. A judge might see it differently.

×