Itsanono

Is this slander and can I do anything about it?

I used to live in a mobile home park and was served eviction papers a couple of years ago for unpaid rent. I sold the mobile home and paid what the unpaid rent was. There is no eviction on my record. I visit my friends in the same mobile home park, and one friend watches my dog while I attend my college classes. My friend was recently in a car accident in which his vehicle was totaled. My friend is raising three of his own children and one step daughter ages 8 through 16. His wife passed away a couple of years ago. The three younger children have mild autism so I help him out by bringing them to school or picking them up, as well as taking my friend to the stores as needed. The problem here is that the assistant manager has told my friends sister-in-law that I sell drugs and I am a heroin addict, which is not true at all. The only time I ever seen the sister-in-law, the only words exchanged was hi. Now the sister-in-law is telling my friend that I should not be going over there because of what the assistant manager stated to her. The mobile home title is in his deceased wife's name and her mothers name. The sister-in-law has nothing to do with it. 

My question is.......can I sue the assistant manager and the mobile home park for slander? 

A whole lot is totally unnecessary details. Basically someone you knew once upon a time told someone with a loose affiliation to a friend of yours that you use/deal drugs and your friend is choosing to believe the other person over you. This isn't a legal issue. It is just a friendship issue. If this person is truly a friend then the rumor from a sister in law's landlord won't matter a bit. If this person is willing to believe what you claim to be baseless rumors about you, well, that says something about your friendship. Find someone else to watch your dog and stop babysitting the kids.

6 hours ago, Itsanono said:

.can I sue the assistant manager and the mobile home park for slander? 

Yes.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  Is that really what you intended to ask?

1 hour ago, ElleMD said:

Basically someone you knew once upon a time told someone with a loose affiliation to a friend of yours that you use/deal drugs and your friend is choosing to believe the other person over you. This isn't a legal issue.

Sure it is.  It's called defamation per se.

ElleMD, I'm sorry but I think you must have read my statement wrong. My friend does not believe what was told him. It's my friend's sister-in-law that believes it and since the mobile home is in the sister-in-laws mothers name (my friends mother-in-law), she is giving him hell for me being over there because of what the assistant manager said about me. And it wasn't someone I knew a long time ago, I only been out of the mobile home for about 2 years. I believe the assistant manager is saying these things because when I was served eviction papers, I decided to sell my mobile home instead of letting the mobile home park rip it out of there and put a brand new double-wide in. My home was an older model home. When I had my mobile home up for sale, the manager and assistant manager were turning away prospective buyers and telling me that I was not allowed to sell my home (which was untrue). I wrote a 3-page letter to the owners of the mobile home park and told them things that their manager and assistant manager were doing that they were not supposed to be doing, I believe the manager got fired (don't know for sure, just know that she moved and a new manager came on board). The assistant manager is still there and she is the one saying these things about me.

3 hours ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

When you sue someone you must sue them for something.  99.9% of the time that something is money. The money you ask for in the suit is your damages.  You have none.

"Even if [name of plaintiff] has not proved any actual damages for harm

to reputation or shame, mortification or hurt feelings, the law assumes
that [he/she] has suffered this harm. Without presenting evidence of
damage, [name of plaintiff] is entitled to receive compensation for this
assumed harm in whatever sum you believe is reasonable. You must
award at least a nominal sum, such as one dollar.

[Name of plaintiff] may also recover damages to punish [name of
defendant] if [he/she] proves by clear and convincing evidence that [name
of defendant] acted with malice, oppression, or fraud."

CACI 1704 (linked in my prior response above).

×