Sign in to follow this  
Rclee96

Defamation of character

14 posts in this topic

I have been having a problem with our landlord. My girlfriend’s dad is the lease holder. Ever since I asked our landlord to please stop constantly interrupting my girlfriends online sessions for high school, in a mature polite way. He has viewed me as a disrespectful aggressive person, he is always sharing this view with my neighbors  who now think I’m disrespectful and freeloading and have gone on to say that they would attack me if I had ever talk to them the way I talked to my landlord. He also complains about that view with my girlfriends dad. Now when anything in the household happens, the landlord blames me even though I’m at work and the household always backs me up that it wasn’t me. For example, my girlfriends sister punched two holes in a door out of anger. Even though she had owned up for her actions to the landlord, as well as her dad, the landlord doesn’t believe her and assumes that it was probably me, along with other damages in the house that I was not apart of. He doesn’t want me there, for the most part I’m not there through the week because of work, he believes that I’m always home and freeloading. This has all lead to my girlfriends dad fearing that he himself might get evicted because the landlord hates me and has the neighbors hating so he is asking me to leave. Is there anything I can do about this situation in general or against the landlord? I don’t have anywhere to go after this and my job isn’t suitable for independent living while I’m going through school. A lot of damage is being done from this guys hatred and statement and I haven’t even done anything 

Sorry, there's nothing legally actionable going on.

I'll give you the landlord's point of view.

I rent the place to Joe and his two daughters. That's fine. It's a family and only Joe needs to be "on the lease."

One of Joe's daughters allows her boyfriend to live there. Boyfriend is not on the lease and may or may not be living there in violation of the lease terms. Now the boyfriend gets in my face for something he has no business getting in my face for. If there were any issues with me it was up to Joe to address them with me. I may have over reacted by getting the neighbors involved but there is nothing actionable there. As far as I am concerned if boyfriend doesn't like the living environment boyfriend can darn well find another place to live. And, yes, I can certainly evict Joe if boyfriend is causing trouble and won't leave after being asked to.

Thank you for the feedback but that doesn’t really explain why there’s nothing “legally actionable going on”. That’s just justifying why he would make those untrue statements, that he is in the right to damage my living situation with statements that aren’t even true and not explaining why it’s not defamation. I am on the lease, I was in the right to ask him if he could stop pulling my girlfriend away from her online sessions. I haven’t caused any trouble, I keep to myself and go to work. So can you be more accurate as to why it’s not defamation?

55 minutes ago, Rclee96 said:

. I am on the lease, I was in the right to ask him if he could stop pulling my girlfriend away from her online sessions

Initially, you said yuor girlfriend's father was on the lease.  Please clarify.

How does the landlord "pull [your] girlfriend away from her online sessions"?

I just meant that he was the main person on the lease. The rent comes from him, I help with the rent. The major concerns with the house are addressed between her father and the landlord but I am on the lease as well. I don’t really see how that has to do with this topic but the day that occured, my girlfriend had a class on her laptop, because she was in cyber school, for an important exam coming home and he was working on something on the house and he kept demanding that she help get him some supplies he needed around the house or to come hold a flashlight, stuff like that, the session was constantly interrupted. She could have said no, she doesn’t react well under pressure but that’s not really the point here. 

Yeah I don’t see how that would have mattered to who it was that spoke to him about it. It’s not like I was belligerent when I talked to him about it, as far as I was concerned i was trying to make it as friendly as possible asking something so simple from someone that we have known for four years. If someone is doing something that inconveniences someone especially with something as important as schooling, don’t you try to resolve instead of letting it get worse? It’s just simple conversation people, I didn’t punch the guy in the face. If someone claims something to be untrue and pushes those actions because they were upset that you approached them about something so simple and it ends up hurting your reputation and current living situation, is that not defamation?

58 minutes ago, Rclee96 said:

I’m not saying that I think I have a case

You either do or you don't.

The article I posted should move you in one direction or the other even if just slightly.

Then you take your situation to an attorney for a much more thorough analysis than can be done here.

On 10/6/2018 at 5:24 AM, Rclee96 said:

My girlfriend’s dad is the lease holder.

So....you and your girlfriend live in an apartment (?) as subtenants to your girlfriend's father?  Does her father live there as well?  Are you and your girlfriend 18 or older or younger than 18?

On 10/6/2018 at 5:24 AM, Rclee96 said:

so he is asking me to leave. Is there anything I can do about this situation in general or against the landlord?

Just because he's asking you to leave doesn't mean you have to leave.

On 10/6/2018 at 12:55 PM, Rclee96 said:

I am on the lease

This contradicts the statement in your original post that your "girlfriend's dad is the lease holder."  If you want useful responses, you're going to have to be clear about the relevant facts.  In a subsequent post, you wrote that you "just meant that he was the main person on the lease."  What does that mean?  Which persons are listed on the lease as tenants?  Is anyone else identified on the lease as an occupant?

On 10/6/2018 at 12:55 PM, Rclee96 said:

can you be more accurate as to why it’s not defamation?

Defamation is the making of a false statement fact (not opinion) to at least one person other than the subject of the statement, which is harmful to the reputation of the subject of the statement, and, in most cases, which results in actual monetary damage to the subject of the statement.  Nothing in your original post suggests anything like that occurred.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:57 PM, cbg said:

In which case it was up to the person who was there to ask him to stop and no, you were not in the right to tell him to.

All of this discourse is neither here nor there as concerns the legal issue raised by the OP.

To the OP:  what is your ultimate goal here?

Yeah, you overstepped withthe landlord. GF either needed to explain she was in the middle of a class and couldn't help, or her PARENT needed to address it with the landlord if this was some kind of ongoing issue. You, who wre not even there at the time, and having no legal relationship or responsibility for this girl had no reason to get involved at all.