Gracie Williams

Third party custody

9 posts in this topic

Please clarify.  When you said you 

1 hour ago, Gracie Williams said:

had a third-party custody with my mother

Did you mean you and your mother were awarded custody of your son jointly?  Or did you mean your mother was awarded sole custody of your son?

Why was your mother awarded custody?

Did the custody order say anything about what would happen if your mother died before the child reached the age of majority?

Where has the child been living since your mother died?

In what state is this happening?

CPS removed him from my custody and was placed with my mother, to get CPS out of the picture we did a third party custody, granting my mother custody. No there wasn't nothing about if my mother passed away where child would go. My son has been with me way before my mother ever passed. We live in Washington state

Then he is a ward of the state unless and until someone files with the court to gain legal custody. It sounds like your parental rights were terminated, but it isn't completely clear. Where is the child's father? What is his legal status as a parent? If the child was removed from your custody, it was with good reason. Getting a court to restore it may not be easy.

14 hours ago, Gracie Williams said:

CPS removed him from my custody and was placed with my mother, to get CPS out of the picture we did a third party custody, granting my mother custody. No there wasn't nothing about if my mother passed away where child would go. My son has been with me way before my mother ever passed. We live in Washington state

I'm not sure what you mean by "we did a third party custody."

It's not clear what happened with your parental rights when CPS removed the child from your custody.  As noted above, you didn't mention anything about the child's other parent, but I agree that it is likely that your child is a ward of the state until and unless a court orders otherwise.

I strongly suggest you consult with a local attorney for advice.

It seems to me, if your mother has passed, and whatever the reason CPS stepped in to begin with has changed, and the fact that hes been living with you for some time.... if he is well adjusted, ie. School, behavior etc. You can petition the courts and I'm sure they would grant custody back to you. Speak to an attorney.