Sign in to follow this  
Charles Harris

Contacting without a contractors license

I was just part of a sting operation for contacting without a license.  I should up to look at a job and the under cover officer ask me for a round about figure. I replayed saying i couldn't give her a figure and that id have to price some items before i ouldd give her a answer. She then said well i know the amount will change but can't you just give me a estimate. I then said i really don't like to give a estimate before do some price checking, but she continued to push us for a answer.  My partner then said i don't know i guess off the top of my head id say 10, 000 which i agreed upon..

So from my understanding this should be coercion.  Am i right. Once we said we could not give her a bid at this time. Wasn't it illegal for her to continue to try to get us to tell her a price anyway

6 hours ago, Charles Harris said:

So from my understanding this should be coercion.  Am i right.

No.  To "coerce" means to compel by force, intimidation or authority.  It would be coercion if she had pulled a gun on you or threatened to have your spouse fired

6 hours ago, Charles Harris said:

Wasn't it illegal for her to continue to try to get us to tell her a price anyway

No.

And it isn't entrapment (which I think is what you really meant in the first place) either.  You had clearly stated you were willing to give her a price you just wanted to research the cost of materials.

Entrapment would have been if the officer pulled a gun on you or threatened to have your spouse fired if you didn't do the criminal act.

1 hour ago, PayrollHRGuy said:

Entrapment would have been if the officer pulled a gun on you or threatened to have your spouse fired if you didn't do the criminal act.

That's true (and I agree that what happened isn't entrapment), but entrapment can occur under far less egregious circumstances.  Entrapment occurs when a law enforcement officer induces a person to commit a crime or violate a law that the person is not otherwise predisposed to commit or violate.

In this case, and assuming the laws of the OP's unidentified state define "contracting" to include providing a bid or estimate, the OP was clearly predisposed to do that despite apparently not being a licensed contractor.