getty61

Attorney sends a bill over a year later.

My husband consulted with an attorney over a year ago, August, 2017. It was one Consultation only, and lasted under one hour.  My husband was not given a contract to sign, nor was he asked to pay for services rendered that day. However; he expected that we would be billed for that "single, consult, even if at the minimum, we were billed for an hour. A year passed by. We hadn't received a bill. To be quite honest, we had put the issue, for the reason my husband had consulted this attorney, behind us. Today, a year and a month later, we received an $800.00 in the mail, for a 2.50 hrs., @350.00, an hr.  I'm asking for advice regarding most billing practices amongst attorneys, as well as advice in regards to receiving an inflated bill, a year late.

Thank you

37 minutes ago, getty61 said:

I'm asking for advice regarding most billing practices amongst attorneys

Which would be irrelevant with regard to your billing situation.

37 minutes ago, getty61 said:

as well as advice in regards to receiving an inflated bill, a year late.

Call the attorney and say "Hey, what's this bill about, my husband spent less than an hour with you?"

If that doesn't get it resolved, file a complaint with the Ohio Board of Professional Conduct:

https://www.bpc.ohio.gov/ohio-disciplinary-system

Thank you. I forgot to include that at the bottom of the billing statement, there is a clause.  This is what it states:

Pursuant to Rule 1.5(b) of the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct, please be advised that the firm periodically reviews and adjusts certain of the hourly rates charged by its personnel. Accordingly, certain rates reflected herein may have changed since your last invoice. 

On 9/15/2018 at 5:18 PM, getty61 said:

I'm asking for advice regarding most billing practices amongst attorneys, as well as advice in regards to receiving an inflated bill, a year late.

It's a terrible billing practice, but that doesn't mean your husband doesn't owe the money (or an adjusted amount based on actual time spent).

Well, your husband can't just dig in his heels and pay nothing, when it's obvious that he owes something. Paying nothing might get him sent to collections. I suggest he send a check for $350 with a letter explaining he is paying for the hour he spent with the attorney. Then leave it at that and see what happens.

13 hours ago, getty61 said:

It's Oct. 3.

I think we all knew that.

It's also been well over two weeks since you last posted in this thread, and I'm not really sure what the purpose of reviving the thread is..

If your husband doesn't believe he owes the full amount, then he can either pay what he think is owed (along with a written explanation for only paying that amount), send a letter explaining why he thinks he doesn't owe the full amount and offering to pay whatever amount he thinks is owed, or do nothing and wait for the attorney to refer him to collections or sue him.

I agree with both responses; to pay a reasonable amount for the hour of services, with a letter of explanation. In response to pg1067's statement, "It's also been well over two weeks since you last posted in this thread, and I'm not really sure what the purpose of reviving the thread is."   I didn't realize that there is a timeframe for threads on this site. My husband and I were taking into consideration that perhaps the attorney was out of town, had a death in the family, etc., at the time we tried to contact him. Thank you, and I guess this thread can be closed.

2 hours ago, getty61 said:

In response to pg1067's statement, "It's also been well over two weeks since you last posted in this thread, and I'm not really sure what the purpose of reviving the thread is."   I didn't realize that there is a timeframe for threads on this site.

There isn't.  It's not surprising that an attorney who waits a year after services are rendered to send a bill doesn't respond to phone calls, but the point was that the new information you provided doesn't impact anything you had been previously told.  If we were all in the same room and you verbally said what you wrote, my response might have been something like, "okay...and???"

×