mariaivory

service process on corporation

4 posts in this topic

Counselors:

I would like to 'serve a civil complaint against a corporation'.  It is a national, multi-state corporation in the United States.  The agents of this national corporation have many agencies within each U.S state.  That is: If it is the Corporation of Allstate Insurance Group, and one of their agencies/agent who insures my home is the agency/agent I wish to file a civil suit, under an Illinois State Statute, then do I make 'service process' to the agency/agent who issued the home insurance?  Or, do I file make 'service process' against the 'Corporate Headquarters' and name the 'local Illinois agency/agent?  Or, do I 'service process' to both the Corporate Headquarters separately and an additional 'service process' on the same 'complaint pleading' to the 'local Illinois agency/agent?, i.e. (2 separate 'service processes').

Thank you so very much for your help.  M. Ivory, Blue Island, IL. 60406

Every corporation should have an agent for service of process on file with the secretary of state and the way to most effectively serve the corporation is to serve the individual or  entity listed with the secretary of state.

If you are suing only the insurance agent or agency you may serve your lawsuit at the agent or agency location.

If you are suing just the insurance company then you may serve your lawsuit on the statutory agent listed in the corporate records at the state.

In the absence of a statutory agent one often has the option of serving the Secretary of State or, in the case of insurance companies, the Commissioner of Insurance.

If you are suing both the agent and the insurance company you will have to serve twice, once to the insurance company and once to the agent.

1 hour ago, mariaivory said:

The agents of this national corporation have many agencies within each U.S state.

"The agents . . . have . . . agencies"???

1 hour ago, mariaivory said:

do I make 'service process' to the agency/agent who issued the home insurance?  Or, do I file make 'service process' against the 'Corporate Headquarters' and name the 'local Illinois agency/agent?

I'm not really sure what "make 'service process'" might mean, but the answer will depend on what you're suing for, which you haven't said.