schoolSLP

Caseload unmanageable

4 posts in this topic

What are the rights of a school employee when a district gives them an unmanageable workload? Can they legally require you to donate 10-20 hours per week of work outside your contract?  The stress is impacting my health. 

15 hours ago, schoolSLP said:

What are the rights of a school employee when a district gives them an unmanageable workload?

Making or attempting to make a list of rights would serve no useful purpose.  However, the employee's rights would be the same as if his/her workload were manageable.

15 hours ago, schoolSLP said:

Can they legally require you to donate 10-20 hours per week of work outside your contract?

I'm not sure who "they" are, but no one can "legally require you to donate" anything.

If you want to provide some factual information about what is happening (and identify your state), you might get more helpful responses, but I certainly agree with the prior response.

Since you don't mention if you are a teacher or not I have to ask are your an Overtime-Exempt employee (commonly called salaried) or an hourly employee? Also, what state are you in?

Assuming you are a salaried OT-Exempt employed you are paid to do a job.  You aren't being asked to donate your time. You are paid for your time. You simply aren't getting your job done within the time you would like to. This could be your fault or, as you feel, you have been given too large a caseload.  In either case you can discuss your caseload with your employer and, if you have one, your union. You also as has been mentioned the right to find another job.