Mommytothebest

Custody Court Order Reinforcement

14 posts in this topic

My husband has a custody and visitation order, it states hes allowed to get any information about his son from the school his son attends, the Dr's he goes, to and so on. It also says that the Mother of his son is to add my Husband to any emergency contact forms for any of those places. If his school isn't cooperating is there anything we can do about it? My Husband emailed his sons school asking if he was added to the emergency contact list and they said they will look into it but they have yet to tell him if he's been added or not.

Has your husband made sure the school administration is aware of the court order and has a copy of the order?  It seems strange he would be asking if he is on the contact list.  That is awfully passive.   He should be telling the school administrators to add his name to the list.  Has he done that?

Yes, they said they needed to see his ID so he sent that along with the custody order. They told him they'll "look into it" he emailed them again asking if it was done & if it hasn't been done if they've added him & they told him the matter is being taken care of by the principal... 

His son is at a new school this year so he just wants to make sure he was added. At his sons last school he attended, my husband found out that the Mother of their child failed to add my husband to the emergency list so the school had to do it. 

If the school does not cooperate what can we do about it legally ? 

FYI His son son lives in another state so my husband can't just go to the school and check. 

I'm not really following where you're going with this.  You told us that the school told your husband that "the matter is being taken care of by the principal."  What more is needed?

20 minutes ago, Mommytothebest said:

FYI His son son lives in another state so my husband can't just go to the school and check.

But your husband can make a phone call, right?  It's far easier to ignore an e-mail than a phone call.

Also, "legally," there is no "we" here.

Then he likely needs to do some traveling. The school is not going to have to necessarily accept a request via email.

Before he hits the road he should probably contact the school by phone and ask them if there is a way to do this remotely. Possibly a notarized request.   

3 hours ago, Mommytothebest said:

I'm asking what HE *eye roll* can do legally if the school does not cooperate ??? 

Again:  You told us that the school told your husband that "the matter is being taken care of by the principal."  What more is needed?

3 hours ago, Mommytothebest said:

orrrr they could just follow the court order

We obviously have no way of reading the order, and you have only summarized it and not quoted it.  That said, it would be very unusual for a divorce decree or custody order to be binding on anyone except the two parents.  If your husband's child's mother is not complying, then your husband can seek to have her held in contempt.  If he has trouble getting things implemented for some reason other than the mother not complying, then he'll need to consult with an attorney in the unidentified state where this is happening.  Either way, he's going to need to retain counsel.

May I ask how long ago he emailed the school asking if he is on the contact list? From your post one can't tell if it was done two hours or two months ago.

3 days ago.. It shouldn't take this long, you literally pull a file up for his son, check who's on the list & move on it doesn't take that damn long. The last school did it the same day. Last time this crap happened, the mother of my step son told the school to not tell my husband anything unless he calls because she doesn't want them telling him info through email thinking it could possibly be me. WHICH our custody order doesn't say anything about how he can receive the info and she's not the not the boss of anyone. So i'm guessing she pulled that crap again and now they aren't responding through email. And I know she told them this because she texted my Husband telling him what she had told the school.

It has only been 3 days. You clearly have not worked in a school. This isn't the only student or any request being made. Adding a parent who is 3,000 miles away to a contact list is not a high priority item. It just isn't. You are lucky they are acting based on an email at all. The court order isn't binding on them; it is binding on the parents of the child. The school is just the middle man. The school probably needs time to even verify this is a legitimate request and not something sent by some random person via Photoshop. He needs to stop[ putting the school in the middle and take this up with the other parent. SHE is the one who needs to add him as a contact. If SHE fails to do so, then HE needs to file in court for contempt of the order. He has no recourse against the school as they are again, not a party to the order. The court can't make them do anything. If they choose to act, it is according to whatever guidelines they choose to implement and on whatever timeline they deem appropriate.

15 minutes ago, ElleMD said:

It has only been 3 days. You clearly have not worked in a school. This isn't the only student or any request being made. Adding a parent who is 3,000 miles away to a contact list is not a high priority item. It just isn't. You are lucky they are acting based on an email at all. The court order isn't binding on them; it is binding on the parents of the child. The school is just the middle man. The school probably needs time to even verify this is a legitimate request and not something sent by some random person via Photoshop. He needs to stop[ putting the school in the middle and take this up with the other parent. SHE is the one who needs to add him as a contact. If SHE fails to do so, then HE needs to file in court for contempt of the order. He has no recourse against the school as they are again, not a party to the order. The court can't make them do anything. If they choose to act, it is according to whatever guidelines they choose to implement and on whatever timeline they deem appropriate.

I have worked in a school. He has to take the matter into his own hands & ask the school & he's legally allowed to seeing his court order states he can. He doesn't need to ask the mom.