trae_hawk

DUI CDL license holder has single vehicle accident in private vehicle,

It's been over 10 years since this accident happened in a private motor vehicle. The driver held a Class A CDL, with all endorsements. Approximately 6-8 months recovering, defendant had a family emergency in another state, so defendant left the charging state and never returned.  What will a defendant have do to get this resolved without having to appear in court, along with the possibility of getting a Class E Drivers License. This was the defendants first offense. Defendant had no prior record of any infractions on their driving record.

You have left out a lot of information.  According to the title of the post, the individual was charged with drunk driving involving an accident.  It is not clear whether the individual was at fault in the accident but I think it is fair to assume the individual was at fault.  I further assume the individual did not appear as required to answer the charge.

What we don't know is what happened when the individual did not appear.  The individual should retain an attorney in the county where the charges were made to determine the current status of the case.

As I understand the facts, over 10 years ago a commercial driver was involved in an accident while driving his/her personal vehicle.  The driver was drunk at the time and, as a result, was charged with DUI.  While the DUI case was pending, the driver fled the unidentified state in which the DUI case was pending and has never returned or taken care of the charge.

I assume the driver does not know what happened in the DUI case after he/she fled the state.  I further assume that the driver hasn't had a valid driver's license since then.

Based on all that, the only option for this person is to contact a criminal defense attorney in the county and state where the DUI case took place.  That lawyer will have to review the case file to figure out what happened and will then be able to advise the driver.  Needless to say, it's impossible to predict whether the driver will have to return to the prior state in order to take care of this.  However, it's entirely likely that this fugitive is facing the possibility of incarceration.  I also expect that the likelihood of getting a commercial driver's license any time in the near future is really low.

×