perezdenise125@gmail.com

Landlord Lock out

3 posts in this topic

My father passed away a couple of days ago, and his rent is paid for the month. The owner came and changed the locks on the unit with my dad's pet inside. I am next of kin and I want to be able to access the unit at anytime during this month to pack and move my father's belongings out of the unit. Do I have a right to a key to the unit, or do I have to contact their maintenance to allow me access to the unit when they are available?

3 hours ago, perezdenise125@gmail.com said:

Do I have a right to a key to the unit, or do I have to contact their maintenance to allow me access to the unit when they are available?

You don't have any rights regarding the premises until and unless you are appointed as executor or administrator of the estate.  If there's a pet inside, you obviously should ask the landlord to let you in, and if he/she refuses, you should call animal control.

All you can do is ask and see what happens.  Out of sympathy, the owner may go ahead and give you access because owner may want to get the unit cleared as soon as possible so that it can be rented to someone else.  If you have a video camera so that you can record all rooms in the premises, do it so there will be a record/inventory of what items were there at the time of moving, in case it may be needed for probate purposes.