Bdonohue72

My two wonderful grandkids that don't deserve this

6 posts in this topic

Me and my fiance have had the two kids November the 15th will be three and a half years I have not heard from the father which is my son nor the mother and three and a half years no phone calls nothing the mother signed a provisional custody paper I got it notarized but it's outdated I was wondering is there any way that they can come in and take these kids from me before I can adopt them I'm on disability my money is limited I do get help for them my granddaughter is 9 grandson 7 and can I get them on my disability thank you

Without a court order you have no legal claim to custody of the children.  So either parent could demand their return to them at any time.  If you want to adopt the children you will have to notify the parents and they would have the right to object. 

U know that law Sucks for the kids,when I went and pick up these kids they had head lice no under garments on and she had been living with a known sex offender so that's what they would be going back to

Is your son married to the mother? Has he ever established legal paternity? If not, legally speaking, you are just a caretaker or like any other random person looking to adopt. You don't know, nor does the law recognize, that these are your grandchildren. A notarized document means nothing. Notaries just verify the identity of the person signing the form, they do not confer any legal authority to its contents. Certain legal forms do require that a notary witness them before they can be filed and recognized by a court, but there is another step there. If you are claiming these children as dependents, there needs to be something granting you the authority to do so. You can not legally claim children just because they stay in your house.

Adoption is not cheap. It is not fast. You really need to hire an attorney to help you through it especially if the children have two living, identifiable parents.

In any future posts, please make an effort to use something that resembles proper capitalization and punctuation.  Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

17 hours ago, Bdonohue72 said:

Me and my fiance have had the two kids November the 15th will be three and a half years

I assume that these are children of a woman who is unrelated to you and that it is believed that your son is the father.  However, it doesn't sound like your son and the mother were ever married, so paternity probably was never established.

the mother signed a provisional custody paper I got it notarized but it's outdated

No idea what this might mean, but notarization is nothing more than a means of verifying the identity of a person who signed a document.  It is not proper to have a signature notarized after the fact.

I was wondering is there any way that they can come in and take these kids from me before I can adopt them

Can it happen?  Of course it can?  Is it legal?  Assuming "they" are the parents of the children and you are not, and assuming a court has never made you the children's guardian, then of course it would be legal.