Sign in to follow this  
MIHawkeye

Car dealer error on contract

2 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a used car from a reputable local car dealership.  After owning the car for three weeks, the dealership F&I rep that we worked with, called to say that due to a glitch in the system, he mistakenly doubled our down payment.  He told me that my options are to keep the term of the contract (60 mth.) as is, which makes the payment go up $60/mth., or extend the financing to 72 mth., keeping the payment in the range that we requested when we purchased the car.  I reviewed the contract, and while I see that he did double our down payment, I don't see language in the contract that requires me to resign in the event the dealership made a mistake.  Am I obligated to resign financing documents?  This is not the first issue we have had with this purchase.  After sitting in the dealership for 3 1/2 hours, when the car was pulled out of the bay I noticed scratches on the driver's side door that were not previously pointed out by the salesperson.  The salesperson did take a picture of the scratches- which don't appear to be deep-and said they would have those buffed out.  Additionally, when we got the car home we found repair estimate paperwork in the glove box from the previous owner, indicating that the car had been in an accident, that was not disclosed, and did not show up on the CarFax report.  Although the damage was minor, it was not disclosed, and we have no idea how, or if, this would have affected the value of the car.  We returned to the dealership and they agreed to fully detail the car and inspect the previous damage repair.