Dmama1

International Guardian

3 posts in this topic

I am moving home to CT after living in Australia and I want to bring an Australian teen back with my family.  We are in the process of getting guardianship as he is an Australian citizen but what do I need to do on the USA side?  Can he function as another member of my family or does he have to have a visa and follow strict guidelines?  Public schools...be a charge because he is from out of country on visa?  Anyone have any experience or knowledge you would like to share? 

On 6/20/2018 at 11:50 PM, Dmama1 said:

I am moving home to CT after living in Australia and I want to bring an Australian teen back with my family.  We are in the process of getting guardianship as he is an Australian citizen

I assume this means you're seeking a guardianship from a court in Australia.

what do I need to do on the USA side?

The smart thing to do probably would be to seek a guardianship from a court in Connecticut (or judicial recognition of the Australian guardianship).  Consult with an attorney in CT who handles guardianship matters.

Can he function as another member of my family

We have no conceivable way of knowing.

does he have to have a visa

That's an immigration issue.  I suggest you consult with the nearest U.S. consulate to your residence in Australia.

and follow strict guidelines?

Not sure what this means.

Public schools...be a charge because he is from out of country on visa?

Huh?

Registering this child who is (presumably) unrelated to you in a public school will require that you have a guardianship.

As far as school is concerned, he is entitled to a free, public education through 12th grade, regardless of immigration status. That is still the case, no matter what you may hear on the news. Where you need to concerned is this child being treated as an unaccompanied minor. If you are not the legal parent, it is well worth the the cost of a visit to an immigration attorney who specializes in international custody cases. It is also well worth a visit to the embassy or consulate to make sure all your ducks are in a row.