Frenchforever

Should i require General Liability and Workers Comp?

The short answer is yes. Or at least insist on a Certificate of Insurance showing that they have both.

But in what capacity do you work for the school and in what capacity are you hiring the contractor and why isn't this a topic to take up with your employer?

On 6/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, Frenchforever said:

I work at a school and i am hiring contractors to put a wall

You are hiring contractors?  Or the school for which you work is hiring contractors?  I assume it's the latter.  If so, is it a public or private school?  If it's a public school, I would expect there are a host of laws relating to requirements for public schools contracting for work to be done.  If you're not familiar with those laws, then you need to be consulting with your boss, the school district and/or the school's/district's legal counsel.

should i ask them to put me as additional insured on the Liability insurance?

Why would the contractors add you as an additional insured (as opposed to the school for which you work)?

I have worked in schools and school systems, and managed their liability insurance, among other things, including being involved in construction projects. I have no idea what it is you are asking. Your school should have a liability policy of some kind to protect the school in the event there is an injury or incident on the premises for which the school would be liable for damages. Any contractor you hire should likewise carry insurance of their own to protect their employees while working at your school, and to protect their company in the event that there is an injury or incident related to the work they perform for which they are liable. I would expect your school (or system) has requirements for any contractor performing work on the premises to be licensed, bonded, and insured for at least liability to some established limit and WC.

×