Sign in to follow this  
rdr6_state

Very aggressive debt collector

2 posts in this topic

I have a writ of garnishment that a debt collector, forwarded to my employer.  I however do not meet minimum withholding (fed.law), since it is only a part time occupation, my employer answered the writ with that explanation.  Now the debt collector has forwarded (answer interrogatories) to my employer for bank account information and routing numbers if my pay is direct deposit (which it is).  Does my employer have to answer the interrogatories???  It is not issued by a judge and only signed by an attorney representing the debt collector.  Note a judgment was issued for a dollar figure however after making payments I fell behind and the debt collector would not lower my monthly payments and is choosing to be aggressive in the aforementioned tactics.  TY

12 minutes ago, rdr6_state said:

Now the debt collector has forwarded (answer interrogatories) to my employer for bank account information and routing numbers if my pay is direct deposit (which it is).  Does my employer have to answer the interrogatories?

I doubt anyone here is familiar with the ins and outs of Michigan debt collection law, but the answer is probably.  You certainly could be made to provide the information sought in a debtor exam or written post-judgment discovery.

Maintaining a bank account is an inherently risky thing for a person against whom a civil money judgment has been entered.