Sign in to follow this  
a1handy

How to determine where estate was probated

I purchased an antique car from the estate of someone who died in NC.   I need to obtain further documentation from the executor of the estate to be able to obtain a title.  When contacting the probate court in the county where the owner lived,  I was told they have no record of the estate.  How do I find where this estate was p robated

5 hours ago, a1handy said:

I purchased an antique car from the estate of someone who died in NC.   I need to obtain further documentation from the executor of the estate to be able to obtain a title.

Did you make payment without receiving proper documentation?  If so, why would you do that?  Or is this deal still in the works?

5 hours ago, a1handy said:

How do I find where this estate was p robated

Well...wouldn't the most logical thing be to contact the person with whom you dealt (or are still dealing) in connection with this transaction and ask him/her?  That person is the executor of the estate, right?  You at least obtained or looked at some documentation to prove that the person with whom you dealt actually owned the car or had the legal authority to sell it, right?

So you may have been lied to about the estate having been probated.

Do a search online to see if you can find an obituary notice for the decedent, which may give names of other family members whom you could check with.

Look at a map of North Carolina counties and see which counties are nearby and check the online county court records for those counties.