dewie

Could an adult be charged with harboring a runaway if they thought they had the runaways parents permission to stay with them?

Say a 17 year old from Washington State runs away to New Hampshire to stay with her 19 year old boyfriend and his parents.  The boyfriends parents did not know that the 17 year old was staying there against her parents will. Say her parents then call the police, and the police are sent to his parents house.  Would they be charged for harboring a runaway? Or are they only charged if they purposefully hide the 17 year old from the police? If his parents say that they had no idea that the 17 year old did not have her parents permission to stay with them, will the boyfriend and his parents still be in legal trouble?

Thanks!

A better question to ask might be, are the boy's parents naïve (or stupid) enough to take an underage girl from across the country to live in their home without checking with the girl's parents first?  I dare say the local prosecutor cited in the above response will be asking that question. when determining whether to get involved.

They certainly CAN be.

Whether they WILL be is determined by how persuasive they are in convincing law enforcement that they had no idea that this girl from all the way across the country showed up unexpectedly with no notice and no call ahead from the parents to confirm,did not have permission.

In other words, yes, probably.

11 hours ago, dewie said:

Would they be charged for harboring a runaway? Or are they only charged if they purposefully hide the 17 year old from the police?

I can find no evidence that "harboring a runaway" is a crime in New Hampshire.  However, section 169-B:41(I) of the New Hampshire Statutes provides, in pertinent part, as follows:

"Any parent or guardian or person having custody or control of a minor, or anyone else, who shall knowingly encourage, aid, cause, or abet, or connive at, or has knowingly or willfully done any act to produce, promote, or contribute to the delinquency of such minor, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor."

I could not find a definition of "delinquency," but it's possible that "harboring a runaway" might fall within the purview of this law.  As indicated, the state would have to prove that the boyfriend's parents "knowingly" did this.  However, as noted in "Ted_from_Texas's" response, a claim by the parents that they were ignorant about this child's status as a runaway probably would be met with a significant amount of incredulity.

Keep in mind, by the way, that even if this 19 year old's parents didn't know or have reason to believe the girl was a runaway, the boyfriend certainly did, so he wouldn't be able to rest on his own ignorance.

By the way, how is it that a girl in Washington has a "boyfriend" in New Hampshire?  And are you the 19 year old man or the 17 year old girl?

By the way, how is it that a girl in Washington has a "boyfriend" in New Hampshire? 

I'll take, "Never actually met in person but have been chatting and exchanging pictures on the Internet" for $200, Alex.

Nah, thanks for your concern though. We’ve known eachother through mutual friends for over half a year. He flew out to WA to stay with me for an entire week at the beginning of this month. He’s met my entire family lmfao. 

15 hours ago, dewie said:

Nah, thanks for your concern though. We’ve known eachother through mutual friends for over half a year. He flew out to WA to stay with me for an entire week at the beginning of this month. He’s met my entire family lmfao. 

So...you want to leave your home and move across the country to live with someone you've only "known . . . through . . . friends" for less than a year?  It says a lot about you that you think this is a laughing matter.

15 minutes ago, dewie said:

Oh my ****ing god. I’m talking about only staying with him for a few weeks. What I do is none of your business anyways:) 

Whoa!  Is the poster the runaway girl?  

Dear poster, you asked if a person harboring a runaway who was STAYING WITH her boyfriend against her parent's will, not a girl visiting her boyfriend for a few weeks, could be prosecuted.

45 minutes ago, RetiredinVA said:

Whoa!  Is the poster the runaway girl?  

Dear poster, you asked if a person harboring a runaway who was STAYING WITH her boyfriend against her parent's will, not a girl visiting her boyfriend for a few weeks, could be prosecuted.

Well staying with temporarily/visiting. Sorry for the confusion. 

Until you are 18, you can do nothing without your parents permission without exposing yourself and the other parties to legal woes. Exactly what those other parties might be charged with varies by circumstance and state, but in no state is it legal for anyone to have a guest in their home who is under 18 if that guest's parents do not grant permission. It does not excuse the offense to claim they just did not bother to ask permission. It was legally problematic unless they had permission.