deltamom3

Step-grandmother not letting anyone see grandfather's will

So my husband's grandfather passed away 2 weeks ago . My father in law is the only child and my husband is the only grandchild. The step grandmother refused to let them have any say so in any of the funeral arrangements. I have had multiple friends of the grandfather's tell me myself that grandfather wanted these 2 to have final say so over everything and that he talked about all the different watches and stuff like that he wanted his grandson to have when he was gone. Also she hasn't actually let us see the will .. she let the grandfather's boss which is also my father in law and husband's boss see a print off copy of it. And with this so called will it only left a handful of guns and the gun safe to the only child/grandchild and neither one of them believe this is the real will ... so my question is can my husband(grandson) request to see the will and if she refuses can he take her to court about it.

He can get the court involved by applying to be administrator of his grandfather's estate.  That would force the step-grandmother to counter apply and would bring her within the jurisdiction of the court.  He can't just sue to see the will.

Unless there is a will leaving him something, your husband has no right to any inheritance.  His father would have a claim to one half of his father's estate, which would not include anything grandfather jointly owned with the step-grandmother.

If there is a will leaving only guns and a safe to your husband and your husband's father it would be in the step-grandmother's interest to offer it for probate since it would eliminate your husband's father's claim to one-half the estate. 

10 hours ago, deltamom3 said:

I have had multiple friends of the grandfather's tell me myself that grandfather wanted these 2 to have final say so over everything and that he talked about all the different watches and stuff like that he wanted his grandson to have when he was gone.

If he didn't properly document all of this, then it's meaningless.  Just because he talked about stuff while he was alive means nothing.

10 hours ago, deltamom3 said:

can my husband(grandson) request to see the will

I'm baffled that you think the answer to this question could possibly be anything other than yes.

10 hours ago, deltamom3 said:

if she refuses can he take her to court about it.

Sort of.  The only possible way for your husband to inherit anything from his grandfather is if the grandfather had a will that left something to your husband.  Your husband could, if he wants, seek to probate his grandfather's estate.  That would require that she produce the will.  He should consult with a local probate attorney about that.

12 hours ago, deltamom3 said:

with this so called will it only left a handful of guns and the gun safe to the only child/grandchild and neither one of them believe this is the real will ...

You and your husband have to understand a couple of thing (overly simplified, of course).

Married people often own their assets jointly with right of survivorship and personal property is presumed owned by the person who possesses it.

Your father-in-law may have some inheritance rights under intestacy but that assumes that his father had sole and separate assets, which may not be the case.

StepGrandma is likely to get everything anyway, even without a will.

Thank yall very much .. I was already thinking basically what yall are telling me but with everything going on I knew it would help explain it all to my husband if I had other people saying the same thing 

×