Sign in to follow this  
Native89

Dwp

I got pulled over and charged with dwp. The cop told me to come in the following Monday to talk with him. And if I didn't he was going to issue a warrant for my arrest. Does he have the right to do that.? And my court date isn't until the following Friday. So it's not like I missed court or anything. So what gives him the right to issue a warrant for my arrest.. I'm confused by it and feel like he is threatening me for no reason. Thanks

I give up.  What is dwp?  What does your "court date" have to do with whatever the police officer is threatening to charge you with?

He has the power to issue a warrant for your arrest if he observed you comitting a criminal act, regardless when he issues the warrant.

Nothing happens for no reason.

Driving without privileges.... cause I know if you miss court they issue a warrant for your arrest.. I got the citation and the court date is on the 9th but the officer is saying if I don't go see him for by the 7th he will issue a warrant... But what would he issue it for. That's what I'm wondering.

7 minutes ago, Native89 said:

I got the citation and the court date is on the 9th but the officer is saying if I don't go see him for by the 7th he will issue a warrant... But what would he issue it for. That's what I'm wondering.

Whatever it is, it won't be good for you. He might be looking to set you up for other charges in addition to the DWP and wants you to come in and incriminate yourself, something you are almost guaranteed to do if you go in without first getting a lawyer involved.

Watch this:

23 hours ago, Native89 said:

The cop told me to come in the following Monday to talk with him. And if I didn't he was going to issue a warrant for my arrest. Does he have the right to do that.?

As phrased, I'm not sure what this question means.  Rather obviously, no law prohibits anyone from asking anything of another person.  If your question was whether the officer could obtain a warrant for your arrest, the answer is yes, since there is probable cause to believe you committed a crime.

On 5/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, Native89 said:

So what gives him the right to issue a warrant for my arrest.

The fact that you committed a crime.

However, you mentioned a court date.  Were you given a ticket in which you were released in exchange for your promise to appear on the date in question?

On 5/6/2018 at 8:50 AM, Native89 said:

I'm confused by it and feel like he is threatening me for no reason.

Nothing in the history of the world has ever happened "for no reason."  There's always a reason, even if you don't know the reason or it's not a good reason.

With all that being said, what you've described sounds very odd (although it might be routine for your state or area).  You would be well advised to consult with a local attorney before you do any talking other than, "I invoke my Fifth Amendment right to remain silent."