So I got a staph infection from a flea bite from a guardians dog. The dog urinated everywhere pooped everywhere. I would clean it up while I was there but the guardian wouldn't while I was gone. I informed the company they told me to suck it up and do my best.  I had no insurance in 2014 so didn't go to a doctor until I was sure I could loose my leg. I have medical records and the company I worked for will have records as well. (So will medicare) this was a home health case so the work done, names addresses, possible incidents will all be noted. Can i still file a suite if this happened in 2014? Or is this useless?

Your post is not very clear.  Guardian for who?  How were you involved with the guardian and the ward?  What company did you inform? How was the company you worked for involved with anything? When did you go to the doctor for the infection?  How do you know the flea bite caused the infection and that the flea belonged to the guardian's dog?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

I got a staph infection from a flea bite from a guardians dog.

A "guardians dog"?  What does that mean?  Also, do you have any evidence that the flea bite was the cause of the infection?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

I would clean it up while I was there but the guardian wouldn't while I was gone.

And where exactly is "there"?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

I informed the company they told me to suck it up and do my best.

What "company"?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

I had no insurance in 2014 so didn't go to a doctor until I was sure I could loose my leg.

How long after the alleged flea bite did you actually seek medical attention?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

Can i still file a suite if this happened in 2014? Or is this useless?

I assume you mean file a lawsuit (or suit, not "suite").  You certainly can file a lawsuit.  However, it's not clear whom you think you have (or had) grounds to sue or what you might sue for.  Please clarify because, without knowing those things, we cannot intelligently opine about the applicable statute(s) of limitations.

10 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

Well, the Indiana statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years so, yes, more than likely too late to file a lawsuit.

However, it would still be a good idea to consult an attorney and review your options.

12 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

So I worked as a certified nurses aide for a company called elders journey in 2014. One of the first patients I cared for had a livein guardian in the home with her. The guardian had a little dog she would allow to poop and pee indoors all over the residence. I would clean up what I could while I was present in the home but after I'd leave the poop and pee by the dog continued. I'd never had a staph infection before this incident. I'd seen fleas in the home on multiple occasions as well. When I got the bite I told the guardian about it and she brushed it off as "well dogs have fleas." I went to the ER for the infection about 2 months after the initial bite as I feared I could lose my leg. I went to my family physician as a follow up two weeks later who ran a test on it and confirmed staph. I couldn't work until the test results returned negative for MRSA as I could put my patients at risk for getting the infection themselves. 

12 hours ago, RetiredinVA said:

Your post is not very clear.  Guardian for who?  How were you involved with the guardian and the ward?  What company did you inform? How was the company you worked for involved with anything? When did you go to the doctor for the infection?  How do you know the flea bite caused the infection and that the flea belonged to the guardian's dog

So in 2014 I worked for Elders Journey of Bloomington as a home care CNA.  The company would send me to the home of someone needing care. They sent me to a home of a patient whom had her guardian living with her. The guardian had a dig that peed and pooped inside all day. I would clean up after the guardian's dog while I was present in the home but no one cleaned up after the dog until I returned for my shift the next day. The dog had fleas I saw them on the dog. I got bit daily by the fleas, I complained to the guardian about being bit and her response was well dogs have fleas deal with it. I complained to the company I worked for about the unsanitary conditions and the fleas and they said to suck it up and do my best. After 1 month a flea bite got infected. It got worse and worse until I couldn't do the work at the patient's home. I went to the hospital got a diagnosis of a staph without a culture from the ER doc who saw me. He prescribed antibiotics and sent me home. I went to see my family physician 2 weeks later as a follow up from my ER visit. My doctor want to do a culture from the source of infection. She also informed me that I couldn't return to work until she was sure the infection wasn't MRSA. Fast forward 6 months and I'm still fighting this staph infection. I've changed home health companies but have to change antibiotics every 6 weeks. This went on for 2 years. I have pictures of how severe the injury was I have medical documents from my doctor and the ER doctor. Would I have a snowball's chance in hell of winning if I filed a lawsuit now?

If this happened in the course of employment and you were an employee (it isn't clear if you were or if you were an independent contractor), your sole remedy would be through workers' compensation. You would have a helluva uphill battle to causally relate a flea bite (or what you assume was a flea bite from this home and not a bite from some other creepy crawly encountered in the course of daily life elsewhere) to a staph infection months later, but that would be your only recourse as WC is an exclusive remedy. At this point, even that ship has long since sailed. You are years beyond the statute of limitations to file. In your state you had one year from the date of the initial accident- the flea bite- to report it and make a claim.

Sounds like you may have had a valid workers' compensation claim.  However, you may have waived any claim by not dealing with it at the time.  Sounds like you don't work for the company anymore, but you're free to contact someone there and ask about this.  Don't be surprised, however, if you get blown off.  As others have mentioned, any lawsuit would be barred by the statute of limitations, and I also highly suspect you'd be unable to prove causation.

×
×