Sign in to follow this  
dark_angel_kitten_86

From Indiana to california recourse

8 posts in this topic

So my nephew is 15 living with his dad(mom has left the country no communication for 5 years)who has full physical and legal custody in CA. I live in IN. I know his dad is abusing him because I have seen it. 3 reports of abuse and neglect made to cps this past year and nothing but some questioning has been done. His dad collects gov assistance while his son stays with me every summer. I, my/brother's mother, his stepfather/my father and his son have all asked him to let my nephew move here.  He refuses. If while on a trip out to Indiana(with dad's permission) I decided to not send him back to his father in California what would the fathers recourse be? What could I be charged with? If the father cannot come to indiana can they get the cops to force me to send him back?

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

If while on a trip out to Indiana(with dad's permission) I decided to not send him back to his father in California what would the fathers recourse be?

He could report your crime to the local police or sheriff and request that you be arrested and criminally charged and the child removed from your care.

7 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

If the father cannot come to indiana can they get the cops to force me to send him back?

I'm not sure who "they" are in this sentence, but once you are arrested for your crime and the child taken into custody, it will be up to the father to make arrangements for the child's return to California.

This is not your kid. If he is being abused or neglected, and it isn't clear how you would know that half a continent away, report it to the appropriate agencies. Or, tell your nephew to report it to his doctor, school guidance counselor, or trusted adult who can act on his behalf. I am not sure why you think Dad would not be entitled to assistance because the child is visiting a relative. Children quite often spend their school breaks visiting family. Anything you do to prevent this child from returning to his legal guardian is illegal. Most parents are loathe to hand their child off to someone else. Ask 100 parents if they would let someone many states away raise their child for them and 99.9 would tell you where to stuff it.

22 hours ago, dark_angel_kitten_86 said:

What I just bought a 1 way ticket from California to Indiana for my nephew, and just insisted that his father buy the return ticket for him?

As long as you tell the father up front that you're only buying a one-way ticket, such that he has the opportunity to say, "thanks, but I'm not sending the kid to you without a return flight booked," then you're fine.  If, however, you mislead the father into sending the kid to you, then you risk arrest and criminal charges.  This isn't a game.