jwade2

Just Found Out Our Pre Owned Certified was Wrecked

4 posts in this topic

We bought a 2016 Infiniti QX60 pre owned certified back in November 2017 from Clear Lake Infiniti. At the time they we noticed nothing wrong with the suv, and they even provided a CarFax report showing the 2 owners and no issues had been reported. Now it’s April 2018 and we when to a new dealership and had it appraised to trade it in and they only offered us half of what we paid for it. So just to get a second opinion we went to a Texas Auto Direct. They gave us the same amount as the dealership, but what he did tell me has made me sick. He said he couldn’t give us any more money because the suv looked like it had been wreck. He said that there was a RDOT sticker on the passenger side door. I didn’t know what a RDOT sticker was so I asked him to educate me. He said that when junkyard or aftermarket non manufacturer parts are used to fix a vehicle, they have to put these stickers on the parts used to show they are aftermarket.  That hit me pretty hard. Now I have a luxury vehicle that I paid what I think is a luxury price for, and that they sold that was “Pre Owned Certified” is now only worth half of what we owe on it. My question, is there anything I can do about this? I read up on this CarFax buyback guarantee and it’s a waste of time. Do we have any legal ground to stand on?

IMG_20180412_194115280_LL.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 7:41 AM, jwade2 said:

is there anything I can do about this?

I'm sure you can do lots of things.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:41 AM, jwade2 said:

Do we have any legal ground to stand on?

Legal ground for what?  You've told us is that the car you bought was “Pre Owned Certified,” but you didn't tell us what that means (I disagree with the unequivocal statement in the prior response that "certified" is a scam, but "certified" is nothing but a word and, by itself, means nothing).  If you want to claim that the dealer committed fraud, you'll first need to explain what this "certification" actually covered.  You also told us that you found an "RDOT" sticker on one part.  You told us that someone else inferred from that fact that the car "had been wreck [sic]," but we have no way of knowing if that inference is correct.  Even if it is correct, we have no way of knowing the magnitude of any wreck the car might have been in.  Finally, you've told us that, five months after buying the car, you received two offers that are half of what you paid for the car.  You bought this car from a dealer, which means you paid an inflated price, and the prices you've been offered are necessarily deflated prices.  You didn't mention why you're looking to dump the car only five months after buying it, but howzabout hanging onto it for a few years, after which this isn't likely to matter to anyone?

If the RDOT tag means what you were told it means, it would appear that only the door is an aftermarket or used door.  If that is the case, the damage may have been as slight as someone backing into the vehicle in a parking lot.  The owner, or whatever insurer may have been involved, may have opted for a used door rather than what would probably an outrageously expensive factory fresh door.

BTW, a quoted trade-in value is never going to be anywhere near the price demanded by a dealer for a sale, even if the car is perfect.  That there is an apparent aftermarket part that gives the dealer an excuse to quote you an outrageously lowball offer.