I'm on here to get answers for my cousin. She has been married to her husband for 20 plus years and recently he has been very destructive and putting the family in danger. To explain, My cousin says he has for most of their marriage been mentally abusive to her and controlling, not to mention he and their children (who are now adults) have always treated her more like their servant than anything else. But lately things have gotten worse. He has cheated on her, he has also been arrested a few times for being caught with prostitutes and he has moved in several homeless women into their home, which she was totally against. He's also threatened to have her committed (she is not crazy, except for staying with him). She's decided she has finally had enough. She wants to divorce him and wants to know what her options are as far as getting their home and selling it. She is on disability and does not work. I live in Texas and she is in Massachusetts. Can anyone help her?

Every divorce is different, and your cousin may have many options, perhaps more than she realizes, depending on her particular circumstances and Massachusetts laws and judicial guidelines.  There is simply not enough information in your brief message to go on.  She needs to consult with a local divorce lawyer ASAP.  Tell her to be sure ask the attorney about having her legal fees paid for by her husband, and how to petition the court for interim spousal support and exclusive use of the marital residence pending settlement of the divorce.  Good luck!

6 hours ago, txgirl1 said:

She wants to divorce him and wants to know what her options are as far as getting their home and selling it.

Not sure what you mean by "getting their home."  Massachusetts, like most states, is what's known as an "equitable division" state.  What that means, in a nutshell, is that, absent a settlement between the parties, the court court will divide marital property in a manner that it determines to be equitable (i.e., fair) based on a number of factors.  The court could confer the marital home to one or the other spouse or it could order the home sold and the proceeds divided.

7 hours ago, txgirl1 said:

Can anyone help her?

Yes.  A family law attorney in the area of Massachusetts where she lives can help her.  She should try to set up consultations with two or three attorneys.  Part of the discussion should include asking the court to order her husband to pay her attorneys' fees.