MMJM2016

HOUSE ARREST/HOME DETENTION

Hi i'm Michele. I'm new to this site...I'm currently living in Lake county Indiana but crime was committed in Porter county Indiana. In 3 weeks i will be sentenced to 3-6 months house arrest which Porter Co. is allowing me to serve in Lake Co since my home is located in Lake Co.....here's the question: The home me and my husband are staying at is my parents but my husband just got a new job in Crossville Alabama and he left already. does anyone know if they will allow me to move to Alabama with my husband and do my house arrest through Dekalb county Alabama? Any ifo would be very appreciated. Thanks  Michele

Hi Michelle, the court that you were sentenced by would allow you to transfer your house arrest or detention if the state you were transferring it to, (where your boyfriend lives) agreed to take the responsibility from your current court. 

Most the time they do not do any transfers, and especially not after you have been sentenced. This is a huge paperwork issue for the system and the clerks that manage, monitor your progress in the monitoring system. Home detention requirements differ greatly from county to county, so I imagine the difference between these two locations would be substantial enough that your current judge wouldn't agree to any change. Especially not to be closer to your man. 

You would have to have a better reason to get the results you desire, but that is just my opinion, you should try and request the transfer. The worst they can do to you is say no.

In any future posts, please note that bold text and italics are for emphasis.  When you use those things for your entire message, it makes it hard to read.

7 hours ago, MMJM2016 said:

does anyone know if they will allow me to move to Alabama with my husband and do my house arrest through Dekalb county Alabama?

No one on this or any other internet message board will know.  All you can do is have your lawyer speak with the prosecutor in Porter County.  Keep in mind that, even if the Porter County prosecutor and the court are willing, the authorities an Alabama may not have any interest in supervising a house arrest for a criminal from another state.