chatton

Physically attacked at work

So last night a (presumably drugged up/schizo homeless) man came up to my department at work and started yelling at me telling me I was fired, demanded for my first and last name, etc. I told him what he wanted to hear so that he would leave and I could call security, but when he was walking away he noticed that I started calling security and started yelling again "you better not be calling ****ing security or I'm going to kill you, I'm going to ****ing kill you" and he ran into my department, and jumped onto my back and grabbed my by my neck with his arm and shoved me around. I managed to get away because he kind of slammed into the register making him let go, and then he tried leaving. The only security associate at work wasn't able to catch him and the police arrived too late, so he was able to get away.

Now I'm wondering, what am I able to do in this case, am I able to get workers comp or something of the sort? I wasn't physically injured or anything so I'm not entirely sure.

Also I have a feeling they might try to blame the accident on me, what should I do in that situation??

Any help/information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

No, without an injury, there's no money in this for you unless you got so messed up in the head over it that you quit your job tomorrow and immediately start paying a psychiatrist for treatment. Then you might have a workers comp claim.

Don't want to do that? Didn't think so.

As for being blamed for the incident, you might be anticipating something that isn't going to happen so relax and come back to this thread if something like that does happen.

18 hours ago, chatton said:

Now I'm wondering, what am I able to do in this case, am I able to get workers comp or something of the sort? I wasn't physically injured or anything

If you weren't injured, what do you think workers' comp is going to do for you?  If you needed psychiatric assistance as a result of this incident, workers' comp should cover that.

18 hours ago, chatton said:

I have a feeling they might try to blame the accident on me, what should I do in that situation?

Who are "they," and what "accident" are you talking about?  Your post tells a story about a person who attacked you.  That's obviously not an accident.  You said you called the police, right?  They took a report, right?  You probably should contact the officer who took the report and ask for a copy.

WC only covers if there are medical expenses related to the claim. You admit there are not. It is really unclear what sort of advice you are looking for here. If you want to know how your employer will react, we would have no way of knowing. At a minimum I would contact your supervisor so he/she is aware of what happened and you can discuss any protocols for handling future incidents and figure out how to address this current situation.

If you filed a police report, you will need to follow up with the police department to find out what they are doing with the case.

×
×