confusedbyitall

House Questions

I've been in a relationship with my husband since 1998. He purchased a home in 2000 when we moved into it together. In 2002, we got married. He says that I am not entitled to any of the house since he had it before we were married.  I haven't worked outside the home for ten years so I'm worried that I will be homeless after.  Please help.

If the house was purchased prior to the marriage, it is his house and not marital property. You might be entitled to alimony for some period of time and other assets from the marriage. You need to consult with a divorce attorney for details.

2 hours ago, confusedbyitall said:

Please help.

You didn't ask a question, and it's not clear what sort of "help" you're seeking from anonymous strangers on the internet.  It's also not clear why this issue has come up since you didn't say that you're in the process of a divorce or that one of you will soon be filing for divorce.

In any event, while the prior response is correct that the house is not marital property because your husband bought it before you got married, that doesn't mean the house won't be taken into account when it comes time to divide marital assets.  Kentucky, like most states, is an "equitable division" state, which means that, in the absence of a settlement between the parties (which happens in the overwhelming majority of cases), marital property gets divided in a way that the court determines to be "equitable" (i.e., fair) based on numerous factors (which can be easily googled).  While the house itself isn't marital property, it is almost certain that you will be determined to have a marital interest in the house as a result of mortgage payments made during the marriage, the house's appreciation (or depreciation) in value during the time of the marriage, and possibly also any improvements made to the house during the marriage.  The specifics of how this works are beyond the scope of any internet message board, so you really do need to consult with a local divorce attorney if that's something that's either begun or soon will begin.