GlimmerQuest

How do I register a vehicle that no one owns?

4 posts in this topic

In 2017 a friend of my brothers had some financial problems, and asked my brother if he would give him $2,000.00 for his truck.  My brother paid his friend cash for the truck and the friend signed the title over.  My brother decided NOT to sign the Title, nor to get it registered, incase his friend resolved his issues and wanted to buy the truck back later.  After a few months, when my brother saw that his friend wasn't going to want it back, he told our mom that she could have the truck, and he would sign it over to her and get it registered and tagged for her when he got around to it. 

Sadly, my brother had a heart attack and died last June, and he had never gotten around to taking care of the paperwork on the truck.  He didn't have a Will, so all of his possessions went to his only child, his daughter.  She knew he intended to give the truck to our mom, her grandmother, so she respected those wishes.

Apparently, the man who sold my brother the truck has also passed away in the intervening time.  So, now my mom has the truck, and the title, that has been signed by the previous owner over to my brother, but who never signed the title himself, and never paid the taxes or registered the vehicle.

How does my mom get this vehicle registered in her name so she can get tags and use this truck legally?

1 hour ago, GlimmerQuest said:

So, now my mom has the truck, and the title, that has been signed by the previous owner over to my brother, but who never signed the title himself, and never paid the taxes or registered the vehicle.

Does that mean that the previous owner properly signed and dated the title but that nothing has been written the buyer's section?

If yes, then two options come to mind.

1 - She can take the title to the DMV and explain it the way you've explained it and likely be told that she'll need a court order from the previous owner's probate court.

Or

2 - She can keep her mouth shut about the dead people, fill in her name and address, making sure that the purchase date is when your brother first got it. Then go to the DMV and pay all the taxes and fees and get it in her name. If she's asked about the delay, "Oh, just parked it and didn't get to it."

3 hours ago, GlimmerQuest said:

She knew he intended to give the truck to our mom, her grandmother, so she respected those wishes.

What does that mean?

3 hours ago, GlimmerQuest said:

How does my mom get this vehicle registered in her name so she can get tags and use this truck legally?

She should go down to the DMV and explain the situation and see what they tell her.  Might be a good idea for the administrator of your brother's estate to accompany her.