Jump to content
tsweetd

premise liability,negligence security

14 posts in this topic

robbed at a casino / card house at gun point 15ft form door main ent. with 3 security guards socializing unaware of actions 15ft away,caught on video no one watching .

casino claims that assault was not foreseeable so no negligence 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The casino didn't rob you and they're not a guarantor of your safety.  Your recourse is against the person/persons who robbed you. I'm assuming you reported it immediately to the police....If the robber/robbers re caught, you can seek restitution through the criminal case.  You can also seek assistance from the state's victim restitution fund.  The DA's office will be able to help you with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, tsweetd said:

robbed at a casino / card house at gun point 15ft form door main ent. with 3 security guards socializing unaware of actions 15ft away,caught on video no one watching .

casino claims that assault was not foreseeable so no negligence 

 

Fascinating story.  Do you have a question?  Was the casino located on an Indian reservation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

is not a Indian casino,it is a card room. the owners of this new card house were owners of smaller card rooms that city,closed them down and joined together to build one large one.each one had at lease one armed rob bier,make argument for foreseeable.also their license make them responsible for maintaining security on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot for its patrons and employees. the licensee shall also take reasonable precautions to prevent the occurrence of criminal activity on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tsweetd said:

their license make them responsible for maintaining security on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot for its patrons and employees. the licensee shall also take reasonable precautions to prevent the occurrence of criminal activity on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot used.

 

If you are going to rely on that assertion you had better be able to cite and quote the statute that supports the assertion, otherwise you have nothing.

 

Reasonable precautions doesn't mean that the security guards can have their eyes on every inch of the place every minute of the day.

 

And if the robber quietly came over and stuck a gun in your ribs and you quietly handed over your money, how would you expect the guards to know what was happening?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casinos hire security to protect their own interests, not provide protections to customers per se. That would be a personal body guard. Security guard are not sworn police officers (unless moonlighting by coincidence) so their effectiveness in an armed robbery situation is going to be minimal. Read: They aren't going to take a bullet for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tsweetd said:

 

is not a Indian casino,it is a card room. the owners of this new card house were owners of smaller card rooms that city,closed them down and joined together to build one large one.each one had at lease one armed rob bier,make argument for foreseeable.also their license make them responsible for maintaining security on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot for its patrons and employees. the licensee shall also take reasonable precautions to prevent the occurrence of criminal activity on both the premises of the card room and the parking lot used.

 

In any future posts, please make an effort to use proper capitalization, punctuation and sentence structure.  Doing so will make it easier for others to read and understand what you write.

 

I still don't see a question.  Since the casino is disclaiming any liability, your recourse is to let it go or file a lawsuit.  Given the scant information provided, there's no way to form an intelligent opinion about the liability issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that you were robbed.

 

In California, business owners do have a general duty to ensure reasonable security measures against criminal activity on their premises. But that duty is not absolute. Some crimes are not foreseeable. Also, criminals may be able to overcome even reasonable security and commit a crime anyway.

 

In this case, there are not enough details to conclude that the casino owners were negligent. You mention that they had three security guards who were “socializing unaware of actions 15ft away, caught on video no one watching.” But how exactly did the robbers get a gun inside the casino? How many other people were robbed? Were the security guards also held at gunpoint? Has the casino been robbed before?

 

Another option you can consider is to file a civil claim directly against the robbers to recover what was stolen from you if they are caught. After all, your financial damage is a direct result of their crime.

 

In any case, the best thing for you to do is to consult with an experienced attorney who can listen to your case in greater detail. This answer is for informational purposes only, so you still need to hire a lawyer who can give you the best legal advice. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

card house is in a high crime area with easy access to freeway robbed in parking lot, to my knowledge has there been a robbery their,open just a short time.but the 3 owners are previous owners of card houses in that area all had robbery on premises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your replies, there business license dose require security on the primroses and the parking areas, also to monitor crime in the area.plus video cameras to monitored. If someone was monitoring the cameras at  the time they could have notify the police when they knew or should have know  of potential danger. Even after notifying the 3 security  guards  that were only 15ft away, instead of calling police they went into the parking area.Some times the show of  some security is enough  to keep crime down.But if there not going to meet there bare minimum requirements, and than offer security escorts for high rollers, has to show some foreseeability.            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The consensus here is that you don't have a case so there is no sense in belaboring the point.

 

If you believe that the casino is responsible for your loss then demand that the casino pay you and if they don't, you file your lawsuit.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to bad about your consensus, I though you would be more up to date- pre trail starts up in a couple of weeks Thank you all for your insite even thew the info was limited , .   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×