Sign in to follow this  
CantorNikolaos

"Friend" Invited Me To Move-In, Now Wants Me Out. Locks Me Out Of Computer Room...

5 posts in this topic

Last Summer, a "friend" of mine invited me to move into his house in Greenville, SC.  He wanted someone around because he was going through some difficult personal issues.  Since he offered to let move-in for free, I agreed and took him up on the offer.  I moved in September, 2017.  At first, things were awesome.  After a while, he started talking about how he misses having the place to himself and asking me to leave the house for several hours so he could have his alone time.  Then, he started locking me out of the front "computer room" where my desktop computer is setup.  I am currently unemployed and looking for a job that pays $10+/hour and doesn't require me to stand for long hours, since I have Plantar Fasciitis.  In December, 2017, he told me he wanted me to move out in March or April at the latest.  Yesterday, he told me he wanted me to start moving my stuff out by the beginning of February.  Today, he said he wants me to get my stuff out amd leave now.  He is very whiny and insults me and acts as if he is offended by my presence.  I cannot prepare a meal without this kind of treatment.  I am constantly denied access to my computer.  I tried to find work online, but for a couple of reasons, including being denied access to my computer, I am unable to work online.  I tolerated this abuse for the last couple of months as long as I wasn't being insulted, but now, he is attacking me verbally every time we are in the same room.  

Because I'm not given a reasonable time to move and because I'm being treated with hostility, I am forced to move into my parents' house temporarily.  There is no Internet access there, so I my ability to communicate or work online will be complicated and more costly.  Because of the extremely inconvenient, remote location of my parents' house, I will have to deal with much higher fuel expences and commute times.  It will make finding a job or commuting to a job much more difficult and costly.  It will severely impact church attendance.  In every way, being forced to move now will negatively impact my life.  

There is no written agreement between us.  He just invited me to move-in and I did.  

Can I bring suit against him and what can I expect to recover in damages?  

From what you have posted, I see nothing to sue your landlord for. Being a jerk does not in and of itself give you a cause of action. You may be able to sue him for access to your computer, but not for monetary damages. But, If he gives you the proper notice, I believe it is 30 days, he can begin eviction proceedings to have the sheriff move you and stuff out to the street.

If I sue him for access to the computer, is it safe to assume I can recover the cost of taking him to court?  

What about harassment?  Isn't that what it is when you verbally-abuse someone every time you see them in order to make them go away?

If you win, you can be awarded filing fee and serivce fee, but nothing for your time. It could rise to the level of harrassment, but one persons harrassment is anothers pursuasion to move but that is not a cause of action for a lawsuit. How would you prove damages? Just move.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:16 PM, CantorNikolaos said:

Can I bring suit against him

Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but nothing you've posted suggests you have any viable basis to sue your apparently soon-to-be former friend.  He can legally evict you by giving you appropriate notice.  All you've told us is that the guy is an a-hole and has asked that you move out.  You're free to insist that he give you a legally proper notice.

On 1/13/2018 at 7:57 PM, CantorNikolaos said:

What about harassment?  Isn't that what it is when you verbally-abuse someone every time you see them in order to make them go away?

You can google "south carolina harassment law" as well as I can, but generally, no, what you've described is not actionable harassment.