GAemployee

Whistleblower and national but Private employer

Are their any protections for private employees who are retaliated against for noticing FTC and Unfair business practices affecting the public and who went through the proper channels at work including HR to discuss issues? I was picked on, job title changed, denied bonus opportunities, and then fired.  I am being told that the retaliation is legal and I have no protections because my employer is a privately owned company and because I did not report issues directly to government agency before getting harassed and fired.   I just want to confirm if this is correct or do I have any protections in the state of Georgia or federal? 

You often have protection from retaliation for reporting potential violations of the law to government agencies. There are some federal laws that protect employees from retaliation for reporting suspected law violations (simply being “unfair” isn’t enough, it has to be a violation of the law) in house, but the circumstances are limited. If the employer is a SEC reporting company (e.g. has stock or securities that trade publicly) or is a financial services company like a bank, mortgage company, etc., there is some protection from retaliation for reporting those suspected violations to company management. You might want to discuss your situation with a Georgia employment law attorney to find out if you might have any recourse. Just understand that in a lot cases the employer can legally fire you for complaining in house about how they do things, even if what they are doing might be illegal. Still, there are some instances where you have protection, and many attorneys give free initial consultations so you don’t have much to lose but a little of your time to find out where you stand. And certainly you ought to file for unemployment benefits.

×
×