aleks0.0

Parental Responsibility

3 posts in this topic

I have a friend living in North Carolina. Tensions are high within his family and they have threatened to kick him out since he is now 18. He is a senior in high school and I have heard mixed answers on the topic of whether or not they are legally allowed to do so.

Can parents legally kick out their 18yo kids before they graduate high school?

I believe the answer varies from state to state, so what is the answer for North Carolina?

Are they still responsible for his care until he graduates? Or do they at least have to let him live with them until that date?

Any info would be helpful,

Thank you. 

24 minutes ago, aleks0.0 said:

I have a friend living in North Carolina. Tensions are high within his family and they have threatened to kick him out since he is now 18. He is a senior in high school and I have heard mixed answers on the topic of whether or not they are legally allowed to do so.

I believe the answer varies from state to state, so what is the answer for North Carolina?

Are they still responsible for his care until he graduates? Or do they at least have to let him live with them until that date?

Any info would be helpful,

Thank you. 

It is the law of every state that once a child reaches the age of majority (which is age 18 in most states) that the parents may kick the kid out of the house and no longer have a duty to support the child unless (1) that child is so disabled that he or she cannot care for himself/herself or (2) there is some court order to the contrary. On the other hand, once the child reaches age of majority, his/her parents no longer may control what their child does. So if your friend wants to stay at home while he finishes high school, he best find a way to get along with his parents. He only has to bear with it another 5-6 months assuming he graduates next May or June.

The differences you’ve seen in state law probably relate to when court ordered child support paid by one parent to another will end. In some states, the general rule is it ends at the age of majority, in some states it is the later of the age or majority or when the kid completes high school, in still others it is age 21.

31 minutes ago, aleks0.0 said:

Yes.  An 18 year old is a legal adult.  That he hasn't yet graduated high school isn't relevant.  Of course, they'll have to follow the eviction law unless the kid leaves voluntarily..

32 minutes ago, aleks0.0 said:

Are they still responsible for his care until he graduates?

No.

33 minutes ago, aleks0.0 said:

Or do they at least have to let him live with them until that date?

No.