Megz327

When can I take legal action?

Hi,

I own a coffeehouse where I've been renting for 2.5 years now. The landlords are an old Italian man I can never understand and some other guy I've never met. I guess they have gotten screwed in the past so they assumed that was my intention also even though after 2.5 years I'm still there. I'm always yelled at for things. Harassed about stuff that has nothing to do with me. I have the landlords son who lives above the space always yelling at me for nonsense. We have pipes that freeze in the winter that I've had to stay shut several times because of. Their solution, leave portable heaters on overnight. It's a fire hazard! I've lost so much renvenue because of them but they're just horrible to me and make sure to show up on the 1st with their handout for the rent but never help me solve problems that are with THEIR building. 

Most recently we've had the well test positive for bacteria. Health department made me put up signs not to drink the water. Of course who wants to eat at a place that has signs like that. It's been now 3 months and the landlords have dragged their feet to get the issue resolved. They don't care if I lose money. They just expect to be paid. So I've held the rent this current month and I'll hold next month too until it fixed. 

So question, what legal rights do I have? Can I sue for damages to my business and lost revenue? I don't understand why they wouldn't want to work with me rather than against me. I've been a respectful tenant (unless they come yelling at me because then I have to stand up for myself). I just am at a loss. I put every last dollar into this business and it is successful but I'm tired of being walked all over and feel they should also take a lose for taking so damn long to fix the water, upon other issues. 

Any advice would be awesome!

and if anyone's a commercial lawyer in NY, I'd love to set up a meeting. 

Megan 

You'll find NY commercial lawyers in the phone book or on google or at the find a lawyer feature at the top of the page.

You should have had a lawyer a long time ago.

Your real problems will just be starting when you get evicted for non-payment.

Get yourself to a lawyer ASAP.

9 hours ago, Megz327 said:

So question, what legal rights do I have? Can I sue for damages to my business and lost revenue?

Probably the most important thing you can do (or have done for you) is to review the terms of your lease.

Some of your questions probably will be answered when you do that.

14 hours ago, Megz327 said:

what legal rights do I have?

Creating a list of legal rights would serve no useful purpose.

Can I sue for damages to my business and lost revenue?

Anyone can sue anyone for anything.

Any advice would be awesome!

Consult with a local attorney.  Be sure to take your lease with you, as well as any written communications between you and the landlord regarding the issues mentioned.