Tech10039393abc

Florida Workers Comp Question: Severe Peripheral Neurpathy

My Podiatrist Doctor diagnosed me with severe peripheral neuropathy this last week and wrote a Note: 4 weeks I can't work in my Maintenance/Janitoral Job.  I'm going to pain specialist next.  I have a limp now. My legs below both knees stay numb or partially numb all day now, and I have tingling and throbbing pain if I put pressure on my feet.  I've fallen 3 times in last month or so b/c of my limp and moving to fast such that my left foot especially is numb and can't keep up because I can't control it.  What should I do?  I need to go to work tomorrow for financial reasons....notwithstanding my conditon and the Note/4 weeks.  Is this a valid Florida Workers Comp Claim?  Should I send my Employer an email notifying them of my Doctor Note?  and go into work anyway?

5 minutes ago, Tech10039393abc said:

Is this a valid Florida Workers Comp Claim?

It has to be a condition caused by your job.

The only way you will find out if it's covered is to make the claim with your employer's workers compensation insurance company.

It's remotely possible that the condition might have been caused by prolonged standing/walking in your janitorial position.

But it is going to be hard to prove the connection so don't be surprised if you get denied quickly and have to get a lawyer if you want to pursue it.

The condition would not be covered. The falls and any medical attention required as a direct result of the falls (such as stitches because you hit your head when you fell) might be covered if the reason you fell was directly related to your job. If you fell because of your medical condition, it would not fall under WC. If you fell because the floor was wet, it could be. Your state has a higher bar than some. The incident must be at least 51% work related to fall under WC.

In any case it sounds like time to find a job that doesn't require you be on your feet all day.

×
×